Scary Dessert at the Old Lyme Inn
My wife and I had dinner last night at the Old Lyme Inn.
They serve an abbreviated summer menu with no specials – at least last night.
As always, it’s a beautiful setting with very good service.
We had crab cakes, a mixed greens salad, neet root risotto, and lobster mac & cheese Each was respectable and very reasonably priced.
Now the scary part: The dessert menu is fairly broad and also reasonably priced.
We settled on the strawberry Shortcake with fresh whipped cream, based on our server’s assurance that the berries are absolutely fresh.
The strawberries were great and indeed fresh. However, after a few mouthfuls into our dessert my wife cut into the shortcake and gasped. She signaled the server to view the thick, furry, green mold (petri dish quality) that had colonized the interior of the shortcake. The waiter said something like “sacre bleu and brought over the hostess. She was very gracious and re-ran our bill.
I can’t imagine what could have happened in the kitchen to result in a dish like that. Perhaps a little more attention to fundamental storage principles is the answer.