HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

Saving a cookbook: disintergrating plastic spiral

shallots Jun 23, 2014 05:06 PM

The time has just passed when I can easily leaf through my beloved Colorado Cache Cookbook (Vol. 1). The plastic spiral is falling apart along breaks normal to the spirals.

The cookbook is thick and spiral bound and the original spiral binding is oval rather than round.

Has anyone found a store that rebinds these sorts of cookbooks. I know a lot of cookbooks went to plastic because of cost. Small is easy to rebind. Big and thick not so much.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. t
    Tara57 RE: shallots Jun 23, 2014 05:56 PM

    I would check with an office supply store with a copy service - maybe Office Max, Office Depot, FedEx Office, or Staples. Good luck!

    1. hill food RE: shallots Jun 23, 2014 06:00 PM

      any repro shop that works with architects and engineers can do this. granted in this day and age of DTP they are disappearing. look for key words like Velo-Bind, Spiral-O and Spiral-Bind. the specs vary a bit (punch per inch) but usually if they have one system they have 2 or 3.

      Vue-Binder makes a hard cover binder that uses one of these with a metal set of rings but instead of a 3-ring binder it's a 22 (or whatever) jawed binder - doesn't get more permanent than that.

      1. w
        wayne keyser RE: shallots Jun 23, 2014 06:42 PM


        1. s
          Siegal RE: shallots Jun 23, 2014 06:49 PM

          Go to any copy place by a large university. The professors print supplements and they bind them there. Large heavy supplements.

          1. s
            susiesum RE: shallots Jun 24, 2014 01:06 AM

            Another vote for Fedex.

            1. delk RE: shallots Jun 24, 2014 03:14 AM

              I've had things bound both in plastic and in metal at Fedex. Both were bulk jobs (200 booklets).

              I lucked out with a homework assignment one time. A friend was an administrative assistant at a large law firm and they had a binding machine.

              1. Kris in Beijing RE: shallots Jun 24, 2014 12:16 PM

                Have a printing place -- such as Kinko's-- scan the cookbook.

                Then you can have them print you a "fresh one" and bind it however you'd like, plus you'll have a digitized version, too [although only pdf or images].

                EDIT: for anyone else, there's a $10 copy for sale here:

                And possibly lots here at alibris:

                1. PattiCakes RE: shallots Jun 25, 2014 12:47 PM

                  I am a quilter, and have my favorite quilting books spiral bound because it makes it so much easier to lay the book flat when following a pattern. I take them to Staples, where they cut the perfect binding edge off, punch it (using a machine), then add a true spiral coil binding. My bet is that you could take that book and have them do something similar. If the holes are still ok, it might be just a matter of inserting a new spiral binding. If not, they may have to cut the edge & repunch.

                  1. eLizard RE: shallots Jun 25, 2014 12:50 PM

                    I think what you have might be called GBC binding. and any copy center should be able to do it. There is also coil binding, too. again, a copy center should be able to handle

                    2 Replies
                    1. re: eLizard
                      Puffin3 RE: eLizard Jun 26, 2014 05:45 AM

                      My last JOC was spiral bound and it wore out.
                      I carefully removed the broken spiral plastic then used a small three hole punch on the pages which fit the right size ring binder I bought from Staples. Hope that makes sense.

                      1. re: eLizard
                        hill food RE: eLizard Jun 26, 2014 11:52 PM

                        yes eLizard, that was a name I had forgotten, GBC.

                      Show Hidden Posts