Great omakase sushi bars in NYC that would not make me miss...
say Mori, or Zo, or Shunji or Yamakase in LA.
my internet search skills is something lacking if you see me on the other boards.
himm, i've never heard of butterfish before either.
it's just been about 5 to 6 years since I've had real NYC sushi. The good stuff.
Didn't know if there was serious fluctuations going on.
Since I bounce between LA and NYC every once and a while, I can provide some feedback on this. I wrote up something more substantial before, but here's a quick version:
- If you want Mori, go to...Sushi Yasuda -- Focus on the nigiri, excellent rice, a good variety of fish. Very wood-focused sushi bar, pretty straightforward yet high end
- If you want Zo, you're in trouble. The closest to the warm rice great sauces that NYC has is Sushi Sasabune in the UES
- If you want Shunji, you're in even more trouble, since mixing the ultra high-end sushi and excellent cooking is going to be a step down in NYC. Sushi Azabu is the closest, IME. 15 East is a brighter vibe and also good
I haven't had Yamakase.
There are a couple other standouts I'd recommend:
- Karumazushi for old-school, super expensive, Japanese business persons' hangout
- Ichimura at Brushstroke - go for the old dude and his aged fish and wealth of crustaceans
- Sushi Nakazawa - most hip right now, Jiro protege and only omakase at a decent price point. I haven't been yet, but people seem to love