Angéla is alive and hopping at 81 rue de Turbigo
- Parigi May 3, 2014 07:14 AM
1. Waaaaaaaa !
2. Still making killer Banh Mi.
3. Space: 4 times as big as before. Now she complains it's too big.
4. Space quite empty of furniture. Sacrée Angéla says she will buy some tables and chairs when she has money.
5. My only complaint is that the new place is just a little too long a walk to my former fave Banh Mi picnic spot: the secret Jardin Anne Frank. That leaves Square du Temple as the only viable nearby picnic venue.
6. Do drop by and say bonjour. She is ecstatic to see old customers.
7. Waaaaaaaa !
Rio and Ria Yeti and Sisterurope and we had a picnic in the Jardin Anne Frank. I was in charge of Banh Mi pickup. I ordered ahead of time 1 non-spicy barbecue beef and 4 slightly-slightly spicy barbecue pork. It was Banh Mi nirvana. I really can't eat spicy, but I recommend that everyone try barbecue pork or beef with at least slightly spicy version of the barbecue pork or beef.
Sistereurope, coming from another side of Paris, was in charge of picking up 10 orgasmic Portuguese egg tarts from "Comme à Lisbonne".
Fabulous company. Fabulous day. Fabulous food. Purrrrrrr
That sounds lovely, like le Jardin Anne Frank. I don't think she ever got to Paris with her parents and Margot (though she lived between two major European cities until her deportation and murder)but I like seeing her spirit there.
I have a friend only a few years younger than Anne who had to wear the yellow star in Paris under the occupation; she and her family were saved by a complicit (and officially fascist) Italian functionary. She went on to become a professor of Italian and a ferocious opponent of any form of racism, and just as feisty, cultivated and vivid in her retirement.
Doing the math, I see that Anne, as a cultivated person from two countries with good hygiene, would have stood a very good chance of still being alive. This underlines the loss of her and so many other people in war and racial persecutions.
By the way, yes, this Parisian friend LOVES banh mi!