Had a friend from SF in town from Thur afternoon to Sunday noon. We hit up quite a few places (as many as we could stuff in 3 days). Usually write about places when I travel but never rated restaurants at home. I was quite an adventure, now time to diet...
1) LONG'S NOODLE HOUSE
- Xiao Long Bao; Drunken Chicken; Tan Tan noodles
- Amazing food, probably the best Bao in Vancouver; super thin skin.
- 9/10 - great cheap eats.
- Duck Breast; Pork Belly; Jelpeno/Potatoe soup; Steak/short rib
- Going down hill. Duck was one of the best I have had but rest was OK.
- 7.5/10 - This use to be one of the best. 2X in 3 mtns and both were disappointing for the price you pay
3) BELLA GELATERIA
- Espresso cannoli; Maple pecan, Chocolate, Lavender gelato
- Really good... Cannoli was excellent BUT not your traditional pastry.
- 9/10 - Been good every time. Try the affogato - awesome.
4) PHNOM PENH
- Chicken wings (of course); #4 Dry egg noodles; #35 Beef rich w fried egg
- Vancouver institution; can't get enough of the wings...+ fried egg on rice= can't go wrong
- 9/10 - for cheap eats, one of Vancouver's best, just be prepared to stand in line
- Didn't join guest but had dog and new butter shaken fries
- Good Vancouver staple.
- 8/10 - good and surprisingly butter fries are awesome and addictive...
6) NEW TOWN BAKERY
- Apple Tart
- Haven't been in a long time, last time wasn't amazing BUT this time it was! So flaky and good
- 9/10- just that one item, haven't tried others, but worth the trip
7) LE CROCODILE
- Duck Confit; Bone marrow; Onion soup; Frog legs; Steak; Chilean bass; tons of desserts
- Vancouver Institution, NEVER had a bad meal here and service is exceptional
- There is a palate cleanser that is served, this evening was melon but told waiter the pear sorbet w liquor was a must and he got it- one of the must taste in this world- amazing
- 10/10 - solid - always
- Almond Croissant; Coconut Croissant
- Crazy good - worth the trip just for one bite.
- 10/10 - must eat
9) CONTINENTAL COFFEE
- Coffee - our guest also had Cafe Artigiano (Spanish Latte- so good
)- 8.5/10 - really good coffee, a definite stop if you are on commercial drive
- Too many items- ask chef to feed us until we were full
- Aburi Salmon Oshi Sushi; Seared Sea Bass - both are so buttery good = must have
- 10/10 - fav Japanese restaurant in Van and after relocation, way better atmosphere
11) SEA HARBOUR
- Final meal, ended with dim sum
- various dishes, most were good, stuffed chicken wings was really good.
- 7.5/10 - overall good option when in neighborhood.