Prawn Noodles in Singapore
OK, have been living in Sing almost a year and have tried lots of food of all kinds.
I would like to make one definitive recommendation, Blanco Court Prawn Noodles at 243 Beach Road in the Arab Quarter. The quality is in the very rich pork-based broth.
While it seems odd, the dishes to get are those that mix prawns with pork ribs. You can choose noodles (I like mixed) and choose whether you get it dry or as a soup.
This to me is the key in maximizing the dish. Order dry and then add in the broth as you like to create your own bespoke dish. For those that like heat, get extra spicy and add in just enough broth to make a flavorful accompaniment to the noodles.
Be sure and reserve a table then tell the table number to the lady taking the order.
Large number 5, mixed noodles, dry and extra spicy.
Blanco Court is easy to get to but would be worth going out of your way to have :-)
Surprised to see prawn noodles getting a discussion thread here - something quite close to my heart since I'm part-Hokkien, and Hokkiens are the only Chinese dialect group which blends prawns and pork to form the soup stock for prawn noodles.
My personal top 10 prawn noodle places in Singapore:
1) Wah Kee Prawn Noodles, Pek Kio Market, Blk 41A Cambridge Rd #01-12. Open 7.30am-2pm (closed Mon). Tel: +65 96883633. Huge, crunchy prawns - poster above had also raised the concern of the health of the owner-chef in recent months.
2) Beach Road Prawn Noodle House, 370 East Coast Rd. 8am-4pm (closed Tue) Tel: +65 63457196. The owner-chefs here are the children of the Blanco Court hawker (grandchildren of original Beach Rd prawn mee chap), and are related to the other prawn noodle sellers: Joo Chiat, Jalan Sultan and Blanco Prawn Noodle House.
3) Joo Chiat Prawn Noodle. Xin Hua Ji Food House, 15 Crane Rd (closed Tue). Run by daughter of the original Beach Rd chap who started the business > 50 years ago.
4) Jalan Sultan Prawn Mee. 2 Jalan Ayer. 8am-3.30pm (Closed Tue)
5) River South (Hoe Nam). 31 Tai Thong Crescent. 6.30am-4.30pm. Tel: +65 62819293 - call to check when they close, usually one Monday each month.
6) Noo Cheng Adam Road Prawn Mee - Zion Rd Branch. Stall #4 Zion Rd Riverside Food Centre. 70 Zion Rd (opposite Great World City) 12 noon - 3pm, 6pm - 11.30pm. (Closed Mon)
7) Old Stall Hokkien Street Famous Hokkien Mee. Hong Lim Food Centre, #02-67. 531A Upper Cross St. 9.30am-4pm (Closed Thu). Tel: +65 98539630
8) Blanco Court Prawn Noodles. Run by the parents of the siblings who run rival prawn noodle stalls in Joo Chiat, Beach Rd, Jalan Sultan and Blanco Prawn Noodle House. It's a dynasty!!
243/245 Beach Rd #01-01. 7.30m-4pm (closed Tue). Tel: +65 63968464.
9) Blanco Prawn Noodle House, 235 Jalan Kayu. 7am-4.30pm (closed Tue). Tel: +65 68534426. My go-to place as it's a 5-minutes drive from my place in Seletar Hills.
10) Tiong Bahru Hokkien Prawn Mee. 30 Seng Poh Rd, #02-50 Tiong Bahru Market & Food Centre. 6am-2pm (closed Mon). Been here over 50 years now.