HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What are you cooking today? Share your food adventure

Tool identification

CJ72387 Feb 23, 2014 05:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone could identify this tool. I believe it is a kitchen tool, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance

  1. C. Hamster Feb 25, 2014 07:45 PM

    Didn't you already post on Discuss Cooking that you found out what it is?

    "Drum roll please! Mystery solved, a member of the UK crafts forum recognises it as a tool for pressing cabbage!! I really would never have guessed that but it makes perfect sense as she is Norwegian and likes making Surkal (Norwegian Sauaerkraut or fermented cabbage)
    The presser tool apparently fits into a oak container or drum designed for use with the tool and is used to press but not over-press cabbage...
    I guess that will be healthier slightly than the cake. Thank you for all your help!"

    1. d
      danlind3 Feb 25, 2014 07:11 PM

      Obviously, it shapes meat for half-sliders.

      Or for stuffing tacos.

      I don't have a clue, but I'm looking forward to a full report. What if it's not for the kitchen? We could be scrod!

      1. BiscuitBoy Feb 25, 2014 06:04 AM

        I see reddit failed you too...Hard to tell without scale. My first thought was a leather tool

        1. petek Feb 25, 2014 04:17 AM

          I'm gonna say some sort of tenderizer.

          1. DuffyH Feb 24, 2014 11:11 PM

            I know! I know! It's a Tork!

            A mash-up of a meat tenderizer and a fork. Okay, that's a lie, I've got no clue. :)

            1. ttoommyy Feb 24, 2014 03:59 AM

              It's a taco server. :)
              I made that up.

              If you do find out elsewhere, please let us know what it is!

              1. a
                autumm Feb 23, 2014 08:06 PM

                Looks like it would work to bash the "bad guy" over the head with if you can't reach your cast iron.

                Other than that, a home made Twinkie shaper? (okay, I don't know. . .)

                1. s
                  sal_acid Feb 23, 2014 07:48 PM

                  Try posting it on eGullet.org. There's some pros over there

                  1. Tripeler Feb 23, 2014 06:09 PM

                    Beats me! A spare-ribber?

                    Show Hidden Posts