HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Are you making a specialty food? Tell us about it

Technique for slow cooked meat

giffsa Feb 13, 2014 04:12 PM

I'm desperately trying to remember the name of the dish/technique that I've had at restaurants before and am keen to replicate at home: it's basically some form of slow cooked or roasted meat, shredded (and possibly mixed with some spices/herbs) then compressed into usually a rectangular or log shape, then crumbed or otherwise coated and fried.

For the life of me I can't remember the name for the dish or technique. It often comes out as part of dishes that present a cut of meat done multiple ways.

Can anyone help with this? I want to find a good recipe but need to start with the name!

Many thanks!

  1. mcsheridan Feb 13, 2014 06:08 PM

    Sounds like a croquette to me.

    1 Reply
    1. re: mcsheridan
      babette feasts Feb 13, 2014 07:45 PM

      A rillette croquette, perhaps.

    2. biondanonima Feb 13, 2014 06:14 PM

      I have had meat prepared this way referred to as a "terrine." Unfortunately, most recipes for terrine are likely to be something entirely different (with aspic, etc.) - I'm not sure why restaurants have adopted that term for those braised meat dishes, but it does seem to be the trend.

      1. d
        DowntownJosie Feb 13, 2014 06:22 PM

        I was watching my kitchen rules and the winners made a roulade out of braised lamb and I am dying to try it. The dish look nice and neat. Is this what you are looking for?

        Show Hidden Posts