Best Dishes 2014
Since I started the 2013 Best earlier last year. I figured I'd start the 2014 even earlier. Let's keep it going.
Nha Trang Centre: Pho Bo Satee
China Blue: 3 Cup Chicken
Po: Gnocchi w/ Pork Belly Ragu
Pig and Khao: Crispy Pata
Terroir: Veal Meatball Sandwich
Kori Tribeca: Japchae
Takahachi: Buu Pork Taco
We're only ten days into 2014 but so far I've enjoyed:
Betony - sunchoke veloute with hazelnuts and granny smith apple
Benoit - roast chicken with pommes puree
Mission Cantina - chicken wings
M. Wells Dinette - rabbit and foie terrine
Moti Mahal - scallops appetizer with mango and celery puree
I'll amuse myself by adding 2 more dishes.
Fried Iwashi ( sardine) at Blue Ribbon Izakaya
Tempura uni and scallop together w/side shishito pepper also at Blue Ribbon Izakaya ( photos)
Both dishes sound great. Ive never been to Atera, Also, I love potato latkes. I made some Trader Joe's latkes the other day and they were decent, but I'm sure Heidelberg's were much better. Thanks for New places for me to try.
Today : Viet Cafe's vegetarian crabcakes, really crispy and delicious.
The year is still young, but so far:
Chikalicious Dessert Club - Tiramisu mochi
Hakkasan - Sesame tong yuan dumplings in yuzu soup.
Breads Bakery's chocolate babka ((when fresh from the oven.. amazing))
Uncle Boons.. many dishes from here are amazing..
The lughetti is hand cut spaghetti with blood sausage and a bit of grape and parmigiano in the sauce. Very unusual but I thought it was delicious. Lincoln is one of my favorite restaurants in part because the chef introduces new dishes on a regular basis.
Boulud Sud has a Mediterranean emphasis so it's not really comparable to DBGB. Higher price point too.
1. Louro - Preserved Sweet Red Pepper Ragu w/ Rigatoni
2. Aamans-Copenhagen - Whole Grain Porridge
3. Acme - Scallops
4. Toloache - Lechon Prensado
5. Cata - Deviled Eggs
6. Nom Wah Tea Parlor - Turnip Cake w/ XO Sauce
7. Bo Ky - Shrimp Roll
8. Bonne Saison (Queens) - Pad Prik Khing Moo
9. DBGB - Boudin Basque
10. Umami Burger - The Original
11. Alta - Bacon-Infused Trout Roe
12. Williamsburg Pizza (Brooklyn) - Calabrese Slice
13. Yemen Cafe (Brooklyn) - Fatah w/ Galabeh
14. Jeepney - Fried Rice w/ Crab Fat, Spam, Dried Shrimp
15. Ceetay (Bronx) - Tuna Bruschetta
had the grilled mushrooms with manchego curds and brown butter vinaigrette at Casa Mono last week. the curds melted, and it basically became mushrooms in butter and cheese sauce. delicious.
1. Motorino - Cherry Stone Clam Pizza
2. Torrisi Italian Specialties - Clams Casino
3. Jin Ramen - Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen
4. Bamboo Garden (Brooklyn) - Garlic Crispy Bean Curd "Bay Phoon Town" Style
5. Pig and Khao - Sizzling Sisig
6. Henry's End (Brooklyn) - Herb Crusted Elk Chops
7. Hot Kitchen - Assorted Spicy Wok
8. L'Ecole - Sauteed Arctic Char with Curried Greek Yogurt Sauce
9. New Malaysia - Fried Belacan Lady Finger
10. Shanghai Heping - Bean Curd Skin with Preserved Vegetable and Green Bean
11. Shake Shack - ShackBurger
12. Txikito - Arroz w/ Chorizo & Snails
Ristorante Morini - tagliatelle with wild mushroom trifolati
Boulud Sud - lamb burger
RedFarm - lamb dumplings with miso shots
Carnegie Deli - pastrami sandwich
Benares - banarsi katchori
Maison Kayser - chocolate caramel tart
The pastrami on rye course at EMP for their interpretation of NY deli. I wish I could get that as a real sandwich.
Jean-Georges lunch: Nishiki Risotto with Peekytoe Crab, Nori and Key Lime (actually the best risotto I've had in my life!)
I almost tried that dish last night . I guess next time I will.
I did try the lobster roll ( cold not hot) just to compare to other places. I would say for the purists, you get a good portion of lobster meat. But the problem I had was it was lacking flavor. Although I do not like Pearl Oyster bar's lobster rolls because they are too runny with the "mayo or liquid" they have plenty of flavor. Cull and Pistol's were tasteless. Also, I didn't like that the pieces of lobster in the lobster roll were very big. Others might enjoy that , for me it was too much chewing.
The service was excellent, the oysters were excellent. So were the little necks.
1. SakaMai - Chicken Kara-age
2. Pearl & Ash - Fluke, Razor Clam, Beet, Dill
3. Mermaid Oyster Bar - Fried Clam & Coleslaw Slider
4. Bassanova Ramen - Tondaku Green Curry Ramen
5. Skal - Atlantic Cod Cheeks
6. Yuji Ramen - Salmon & Cheese Mazemen
7. Shopsin's - Mac 'n' Cheese Pancakes
8. Craftbar - Marinated Beet Salad
9. Erawan (Queens) - Khee Mao
10. A-Wah - House Special Chinese Sausage and Minced Pork Casserole
Lincoln - Tuscan fried chicken
Perla - fettuccine with oxtail ragu, porcini mushrooms, parmigiano reggiano
Cafe Boulud - artichoke agnolotti, nicoise olives, herbed breadcrumbs
M. Wells Dinette - chicken liver mousse with sliced apple, walnuts
Berlyn - cheese dumplings with sunchokes, watercress and mushroom goulash
Brontosaurus Rib @ Mighty Quinns
Scrambled Eggs @ Gato
Rice Cakes @ Ma Peche
Its not quite April roundup time yet but I have to share this strong dish of the year nominee I had today
Strozzapreti (invented I suppose when someone witnessed a priest being choked). Lobster Coral Pasta, Lobster Scallop Sausage (OMG!), Tarragon, Peas @ Lincoln
Empellon Cocina's guacamole with pistachios. Also loved the wagyu brisket with bone marrow tamal.
1. L'Apicio - Agnolotti w/ sweetbreads, mascarpone, condimento
2. Fung Tu - Sweetbreads Manchuri w/ pickled cauliflower, bird chilies
3. Ammos Estiatorio - Octapodi w/ capers, fennel, red wine vinaigrette
4. Northern Spy Food Co. - Pork Jowl Terrine w/ beer-cheddar spread, apples, pickles
5. Il Buco Alimentari e Vineria - Slow Roasted Quail w/ green strawberries, hazelnut praline
6. Great NY Noodletown - Singapore Mai Fun
7. Mission Cantina - Cumin Lamb Taco w/ smoked prune, herbed crema
8. The Meatball Shop - Beef Meatball Hero w/ Classic Sauce
9. Pinche Taqueria - Taco al Pastor
10. Prune - Classic Eggs Benedict
Lincoln - lasagna di ortica
Ristorante Morini - agnolotti: duck confit parcels, celery root, red wine
Modern Bar Room - pork loin confit with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and pecans
Ma Peche - habanero fried chicken (new recipe!)
Bar Boulud - andouille saucisse with warm fingerling potatoes and mustard
Benoit - crispy duck leg confit
Atlantic Grill - charred octopus with chickpeas and carrot harissa vinaigrette
Menkui Tei - rich pork broth ramen
Pio Pio - Juanita's rotisserie chicken
Boulud Sud - chocolate lemon tart: chocolate crémeux, lemon mousse, almond anglaise
The quail @ Rotisserie Georgette*
(*The Ile Flottante, aka floating island dessert, is fucking great too.)
Recent delicious meals (since every dish was incredible):
Jungsik (this restaurant needs more love since it was 2/3 empty last night (Friday) when I left at 8:30--hope it filled in later).
Carrot Wellington @ Narcissa
Chettinad Chicken Kulambu @ Kokum
BBQ Shrimp @ Bevi Seafood in New Orelans (couldnt resist)
Del Posto – lobster with burrata, grilled lamb with Swiss chard, grilled semolina cake with warm dates and coconut
Juni – hanger tenderloin with parmesan potato puree
Costata – garganelli alla fiamma
All’Onda – garganelli with crab, citrus and yuzu kosho
Alder – scotch quail eggs with pork sausage and ricotta
Ma Peche – lamb noodles, crispy fish buns
The Smith – pork chop with creamed kale and corn and bacon flapjacks
Roman’s (Brooklyn) – whole crispy sea bass with salsa verde and house made piadina, dark chocolate sorbet
Ivan Ramen – roasted garlic mazemen
The Dutch – Brooklyn blackout donut, banana cream pie with guava sorbet
Picholine - risotto primavera with Greek bottarga, seared skate wing with white asparagus and morels
Lincoln - soft shell crab with almonds, ramps, picked fennel and lemon mayo, strozzapreti con aragosta (lobster pasta with lobster and scallop sausage, tarragon and peas)
Modern Bar Room - king crab with radishes, avocado, Meyer lemon and sprouts
Leopard at des Artistes - grilled pork chop with fruit mustard and grilled endive
Convivium Osteria (Brooklyn) - grilled boneless whole trout stuffed with prosciutto and fresh rosemary
Palm - Cajun ribeye
Atlantic Grill - pan seared sockeye salmon with asparagus and roasted carrots
Andanada - pan seared halibut with green pea soup and boar belly
Topaz - Isan grilled chicken
Ed's Chowder House - dark chocolate pudding
Vanessa's Dumpling House:
-fried pork and chive dumplings
-sesame pancake sandwich with grilled chicken
Really "simple" dish but the clams in broth at The NoMad Bar are my recent addiction, have no idea why but I can't get enough of it; had it 3 times already.
Deep fried short rib, peanut and bean sprout at Momofuku Ko. Ko hasn't had the short rib on their menu in more than a year. Today was its return to the menu (just missed the last of the rib eye cap, but love the short rib just as much).
Chow used to have a venue directory function but that was removed a while ago.
You can quickly see where things are on Google.
I did a quick scan and zero of the places mentioned are in the financial district, which remains a hard place to find amazing food.
Some are in TriBeCa though: China Blue, Jungsik, Terroir, Blaue Gans.
Le Bernardin –
- wild striped bass tartare with champagne-mango emulsion
- warm octopus carpaccio with leek compote and Peruvian anticucho sauce
- chocolate mille-feuille with caramelized phyllo, thyme gelée and salted milk chocolate ice cream
- baccala with crispy rice and mustard greens
- octopus terrine
- spaghetti with clams and sea urchin
- orchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe
- tartufo with chocolate, hazelnut and cherry gelato
Ristorante Morini -
- calamari alla piastra with mozzarella, charred kale and olives
- chocolate olive oil cake with warm chocolate sauce, orange confit and whipped cream
- crab risotto with garlic bread crumbs and Calabrian red chili
- pizza with lamb sausage, tomato jam, mozzarella and mint
- chocolate crema Catalanta with toasted hazelnuts
- octopus Bolognese with tagliatelle and goose pancetta
- “The Santos” (johnnycake, caramel sauce, roasted corn ice cream)
Momofuku Ssam Bar –
- rotisserie chicken ssam
- smoked salmon buns
- crab salad with blood orange and hazelnuts
- rotisserie poussin
- arroz negro with squid and romesco
- BoBo chicken with carrot ginger glaze and curry
the modern dining room: asparagus custard; roasted foie gras & scallops; beef and bone marrow; berry mille feuille
lincoln: insalata di tonno w/ poached egg, fried green tomato & bottarga
redfarm: oxtail spring rolls; lamb red curry
chez sardine: caviar & uni toast; breakfast pancakes w/ salmon roe, smoked char & soy-lime yogurt; unagi donburi
Except for a pastrami sandwich at Katz's - which was as great as ever and kept me up all night because of indigestion from all that fat but was worth it - I think the best things I've had this past month or two were all desserts. Several of them have been from Il Laboratorio del Gelato. Favorite gelato flavors I've had there recently (actually, last several months): allspice, butternut squash, toasted coconut, crème fraiche, Mexican cinnamon (not sure that's the exact name - it's a concentrated cinnamon flavor with a touch of chili), rosemary (and if I have to pick a single standby favorite, I think it would be the rosemary). Favorite sorbets: blood orange, passion fruit.
I also had a Restaurant Week lunch at Esca, and by far the best course was the dessert, which as I recall was a sour red plum crostata in a brown butter with creme fraiche, with the inspired wine pairing of a moscato which was sweet but with an edge.
Chicken Burrito @ Mission Cantina
Rigatoni with pork ragu @ Hearth
Cha Ca La Vong at Pok Pok Brooklyn - Catfish marinated and fried to flaky perfection with all sorts of herb action, rice vermicelli and tangy pineapple-y sauce. Wings aint bad either
The BBQ chilled peach soup with octopus terrine , hazelnuts .BBQ essence and baked bean crumble at Recette was amazing. Also a foie gras ,uni, with black truffle, mustard and cherry was amazing.
Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream @ Morgenstern's
Might be the best cold confection I've had all year.
Here's a photo: braised tripe – red chili, benton’s bacon, onion from Momofuku Noodle Bar.
We were tipped off by Joaquin Baca's lovely mom to order it. The first night of "Momofuku10" was a real celebration, it made us remember that they started as a neighborhood place trying something new, and managed to turn out some great food as they figured it all out!
Now if we all continue to order the tripe I hope it will stay on the menu.
Jean-Georges: crispy confit of suckling pig, parmesan-crusted chicken and the fried sweetbreads
Del Posto: orecchiette
NoMad Bar: the burger
Eleven Madison Park: everything on the summer menu, but especially the (1) braised sunflower, (2) celtuce with peach and trout roe (3) slow-cooked summer beans and (4) brownie sundae
- sea trout draped in trout eggs, crisped trout skin, lemon custard, dill puree
- battered sweetbreads, pickled peach, arugula, pink peppercorn, pea sprouts
- parmesan crusted chicken, artichokes, basil, lemon butter
- chocolate tasting: white chocolate ice cream, yuzu sorbet, milk chocolate custard, warm chocolate cake, hazelnuts, meringue, candied orange
- fried vegetables with citrus
- chickpea bara sushi (donburi)
- anmitsu (dessert): peach, apricot, cherry, black beans, white bean paste, mochi, maple syrup
- fettuccine con funghi
- chicken scarpariello with house-made cotechino
A Voce Columbus
- paccheri with guanciale, pecorino, matriciana sauce
- roast duck breast, pickled cherries, blackberry apple puree, pistachio
- bomboloni filled with pastry cream, warm bitter chocolate sauce
- Serrano ham croquetas, wild mushroom, smoked corn aioli
- arroz brut a la plancha: braised lamb, brown rice cake, Merguez sausage
- pulpo a la sarten: seared octopus, fingerling potatoes, olives, capers
- flan de mango: double cream custard, kiwi, mango granite, red currant
- quenelles de brochet, Nantua sauce
- peach melba, raspberry coulis, almond tuille
- breakfast spaghetti, kale, pancetta, poached egg
- ricotta bruschetta, fig, Sardinian honey
Root & Bone
- grilled peach caprese
- fried chicken
- pork jäger schnitzel, herbed spätzle, bacon mushroom gravy
- lobster taco, corn, epazote
- crab cake taco, sea urchin guacamole
You guys are driving me crazy here - I'm staying hungry all day long with the various posts on this thread!
Pork meatballs at Ivan Ramen
Lobster club at Ed's Lobster Bar
Crepes a la creme with Cointreau at Fairway Cafe
Fried chicken pain perdu, bacon maple syrup @ Montmartre
Grilled pork chop banh mi @ A La Saigon
Chocolate peanut butter pie @ Viand Cafe