Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jan 4, 2014 08:27 PM

would like to install a new induction range instead of gas. Hi, my mom is elderly and she leaves the gas burner on often unable to smell the gas when the actual flame is too low to see.

I would like to install an induction cooktop or range and replace the gas model. my mom leaves the burner on when the flame is too low to see. I can not find a gas cooktop or range that has an indicator light to alert her to this danger so I am now looking to convert to electric- anyone know what I must do?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. If you go to the Cookware board and search for "induction" you'll find lots of information. I've been cooking on induction for several years now and safety is definitely a feature.

    1. Several induction units shutoff if the pan boils dry or is removed. That might give you some peace of mind.

      1. Hi, lisa:

        It sure sounds like induction would be safer for your mom than gas.

        I second the advice to pick an appliance which has a boil-dry-shutoff feature. For an added bit of insurance, you might look into Demeyer's cookware lines that offer their ControlInduc alloy--it becomes non-magnetic at temperatures above 250C, and therefore limits how hot even an empty pan can get.

        My other advice to you is to find an appliance with very simple, intuitive controls with prominent indicator lights.


        4 Replies
          1. re: kaleokahu

            I have been looking for a gas range that has "indicator lights" as ALWAYS included on electric cooktops for obvious reasons-- if anyone knows of a gas range that has this safety feature I'd consider sticking with gas as it is my preference

            1. re: lisaloc

              My 10 yr-old Dacor range has small blue indicator lights by the knobs. (Side note... I would trade it for an induction range)

              1. re: lisaloc

                Our new Bosch 800 series cook top (not range) has an indicator light. Love the cook top, btw.

            2. Thanks everyone- before I start my quest just wondering what I might need to do to convert to Electric Power since this is a NYC Co-op and the cooking lines are all gas- do I begin with a plumber or electrician?

              8 Replies
              1. re: lisaloc

                Or do you need to begin with your co-op board? Just asking.

                1. re: lisaloc

                  Hi, Lisa:

                  Oh. If there's no dedicated stove circuit (220V/40A), you might have a problem. Even if the co-op board would allow the work, it might be expensive. How is her hot water heated? Gas, too? If that's the case, it might be quite expensive to bring a 220 line into her unit.

                  In your mom's case, would an induction hotplate and a good countertop oven (like the Brevilles in 3 sizes) work for her? The bigger Breville will take a 13" pizza stone, a 9x13, or a half baking sheet. Running both hotplate and oven simultaneously might tax an older apartment's 110V circuit(s), but having an electrician check that would not be too expensive.

                  If such a setup would work, many of these countertop ovens (even some very basic units) have auto-shutoff features so you can't forget to turn them off. I had the same issues with my elderly mom after a stroke, and she did really well with a such countertop oven.


                  1. re: kaleokahu

                    There's always the possibility of just using a countertop unit with a single induction burner. These use 110V and just plug in and draw less than 20amps. I guess this would rather depend on just how much multi-burner cooking your mother does.

                    1. re: kaleokahu

                      Coincidentally, I had a dedicated 220/40A line installed just yesterday in my NYC apartment (building constructed in 1964) in order to install an over-the-range microwave. It took the electrician and one helper about 3 hours and it cost me $700. He had given me an estimate of $500 to $900, since he wasn't sure whether or not he could snake a line from behind the range to the fuse box or how much demo might be required if he couldn't. In the end, he couldn't snake, but the demo was minimal. I would think it's worth calling an electrician for an estimate. And the super of the building might know exactly what would be involved for the unit in question.

                      1. re: JoanN

                        Good reply. ANd the super may know someone who's worked in the building.

                        1. re: c oliver

                          Yes. I used an electrician recommended by the super and definitely benefitted from it. Not only was he already cleared to work in the building (some buildings in NYC require that workers have a certain amount of insurance as well as workman's comp, and many independent contractors do not), but the super pre-approved what the electrician planned to do, meaning I'll have no hassles in having the installation of the new appliances approved once they're in place. I was afraid, at first, that he might be more expensive. (Kickbacks, and all that. This IS NYC, after all.) But after a number of discussions with people knowledgable about this stuff, that seems not to have been the case.

                        2. re: JoanN

                          Welcome to New York. The same work cost me about $250 in Chicago.

                          1. re: ferret

                            Why am I not the least surprised?

                    2. This could be anywhere from a big to huge job, and I'm really not sure that one trade would handle everything you'd need to do. But if there's no stove/oven circuit in the kitchen already, you'd probably want to start with an electrician to find out if it's possible to install one. (Normal kitchen circuits are 15-20 amps; an induction range needs 40-50 amps.)