HOME > Chowhound > Los Angeles Area >

Discussion

Looking for the perfect Wok

Just moved to LA in June (from Philadelphia). Haven't gotten out much, but when I do I'm always in search for good Chinese. From what I've heard the Chinese food scene isn't much of a scene at all. A friend told me there isn't any Lo Mein(only chow mien). So I turn to you LA Chowhounders, where is the best Chinese food?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. The original comment has been removed
    1. Welcome to LA. Whereas it is hard to get a good cheesesteak here the San Gabriel Valley is perhaps the greatest aggregation of Chinese restaurants in the world outside of Hong Kong. I suggest you search that, or posts by chandavkl, or ipsedixit, or Monterey Park, Temple City, Valley Blvd., Sea Garden, Seafood Village, XLB, 101 Noodle Express...I hope you get the point. Whoever told you there is no Chinese food scene here...well, to be mild...was totally wrong. Lo mein? You can get more different varieties of noodles than you have ever dreamed of here...and then there are dumplings...and so much more. Welcome to LA. You will never miss the cheesesteaks.

      5 Replies
      1. re: ebethsdad

        "... the greatest aggregation of Chinese restaurants in the world outside of Hong Kong..."

        Not quite (China mainland has quite a few Chinese restaurants, if memory serves, as does Vancouver), but I DO agree with ebethsdad's recommendation of reading posts by chandavkl, ipsedixit, TonyC, etc.

        1. re: ebethsdad

          Whereas it is hard to get a good cheesesteak here the San Gabriel Valley is perhaps the greatest aggregation of Chinese restaurants in the world outside of Hong Kong.
          ________________

          Whoa there, mon ami.

          SGV (both west and east) are great and perhaps (or *is*) the best in the United States. But world? Heck, SGV isn't even the best in North America (see: Vancouver and Toronto).

          But yeah, SGV has it going on if you want good, diverse Chinese food at basically any price point.

          1. re: ipsedixit

            My bad. I'll go back to lurking, and learning from those who know more.

            1. re: ebethsdad

              Don't be silly.

              99% of the people posting here (myself included) are wrong. The other 1% is kevin.

              Right or wrong, posting is the best way to interact and learn. Heck, if you hadn't posted, you'd still be under the illusion that SGV was the best in the world (ex. HK), right?

        2. Lol your poor friend lives a sheltered life.

          1. You did do a search on "Chinese food" for this board and noticed the many, MANY threads from people who are/were looking for the specific type of Chinese food served in their hometown/state that bares little-to-no resemblance to the food served in LA or in the SGV?

            If not, you might want to read those threads, this thread in particular (since this thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/8061...

            )

            It also might help if you specified which part of LA you're in and how far you're willing to drive.

            1. You might want to check out New Moon Cafe at FIGat7th (just opened) or also their New Moon Restaurant in Downtown LA. They have "Lo Mein" on the menu.

              New Moon Cafe
              735 S.Figueroa Street
              Los Angeles CA 90017
              213.327.0311

              The New Moon Restaurant
              102 W.9th St.
              Los Angeles CA 90015
              213.624.0186

              http://newmoonrestaurants.com/