2013 LA Chowhound Chef of the Year
- jessejames Dec 20, 2013 03:54 PM
I nominate Shunji Nakao
Basing my vote on my love of his food, popularity on this board, and that he's an innovator and a traditionalist both.
- gives Commies with Chengdu hukou 20%
- trades new Sichuan cookbooks for house-cured bacon
- made David Cameron's fave dish in Chengdu available for LA.
- imports his own foreign ingredients and indentures his mom for pickling the restauarants chilis.
Granted the other 2 Japanese chefs mentioned have nicer knives but... Xu has a bigger wok.
OTOH, Shunji-san has bitchin' glasses. Tough call.