Juhu Beach Club - Temescal [Oakland]
We (3 adults and 2 kids) just wrapped up a great dinner at Juhu Beach Club. We had eaten a few times when JBC had a popup in San Francisco, and were happy to check the relatively new place again.
We showed up at 5:45 pm w/o a reservation and managed to get a table. The place was fairly packed throughout our meal (till 7:45 pm). Overall i thought the food was quite excellent with all dishes being very well spiced and flavorful.
Here's what we ordered and a brief summary:
- The kids got the kids meal which comes in a 3 box plastic tiffin (super cute). Older kid got the butter chicken + rice + salad. Younger kid got the grilled cheese + fries + salad. In general not a big fan of kids meals, but in this case it was worth it, since the other dishes were a bit too boldly spiced to serve as full meals for the kids (who are relatively adventurous and eat everything and take spice in moderation)
The 3 adults shared:
- Sev Puri - this was one large puri with 3 chutneys (tamarind, mint etc). You could not pop this puri in your mouth in one bite (which is typically done). We split it up into 4 pieces. Was a great combination of flavors
- Cauliflower Manchurian - deep fried spiced cauliflower. Nice version of this indian-chinese classic dish.
- gujju chilli - basically a nice thick lentil soup with some cream. We ordered a few additional pav (bread) to go with it since it was so yummy and we wanted to dunk some bread in it to eat. Definitely a great thick dahl
- the pav sampler. We got yhe sloppy lil'p, pork and beef. Fairly similar to what JBC had in SF. All quite good and were spiced differently
- Sassy Lassi - wife declared that she'd return specifically for this drink. Good combination of sweet and tang, had some chaat masala like spices in it. Definitely not a kid drink (kids tasted and did not enjoy it)
Overall a great meal, and we'll go back regularly (even though its across the bridge for us).
Glad to hear Ms. Mistry's good food continues. The website has been revamped, and finally has all three menus up: dinner, lunch, and kid's.
We went last year for lunch only to discover the menu was much more limited than dinner. A little disappointing (my DH was all primed for that chicken leg curry) but overall, a good experience. Like you, we loved the chili - and that's high praise from my DH, who is not a chili/beans lover although he adores spicy food.
5179 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA 94609
Fri & Sat Lunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Tues - Sat Dinner: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Reserve thru Urbanspoon, email, or 510-652-7350
Located in what locals call the "Check Cashing Mall": across 51st Street from the Walgreens/Genova Deli/Post Office mall, and kitty-corner from Bakesale Betty's. Very small parking lot, but street parking is plentiful. Juhu is in the old SR24 location, for those who remember the wonderful cooking of Josh Woodall.