HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What have you made lately?
TELL US

Polyester on Cast Iron?

b
bluesummers1129 Dec 10, 2013 01:33 PM

Due to some unfortunate negligence on my part, a tiny amount (just a few small drops) of polyester from a towel ended up melting onto my very hot cast iron skillet. I managed to wipe up the polyester while it was still liquid as far as I can tell, but I'm a little worried that there's still a thin spot/film left on my skillet that's invisible to the naked eye but could still be toxic. Is it still safe to use the skillet, or should I just spend another 20 bucks to buy a new one?

  1. Chemicalkinetics Dec 10, 2013 01:48 PM

    So basically you burned polyester onto your cookware, right? If I am you, then I will probably try to clean it up as much as I can. You may reason the whole pan. You may just get a sandpaper and scrub the heck out of that spot. Or, you may just get a new pan like you said.

    <still a thin spot/film left on my skillet that's invisible to the naked eye but could still be toxic.>

    The polyester itself at room temperature is not toxic, but its fume is toxic. So you can make it toxic while you are cooking.

    I would just use a sandpaper or green pad and just scrub that spot clean, and then re-season that particular spot. If you think this is too much work, then you can just buy a new one for $20 like you said.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Chemicalkinetics
      b
      bluesummers1129 Dec 10, 2013 07:38 PM

      Hmm, I will try the sandpaper idea first before I give up on the skillet. Thanks for the help!

      1. re: bluesummers1129
        scubadoo97 Dec 10, 2013 11:21 PM

        Don't give up and ditch the pan. It's cast iron! At most run through the ovens self cleaning cycle to burn off everything. Then reseason

        1. re: scubadoo97
          hill food Dec 10, 2013 11:43 PM

          yeah don't freak over it. just try not to do it every time.

          let the cleansing fire purge and re-season.

    Show Hidden Posts