disasters and near misses Thanksgiving 2013
- KaimukiMan Nov 28, 2013 09:09 AM
First I want to point out the "Turkey Day Live" thread in Home Cooking (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/926031.) This is a little more specific so I thought I'd open a new thread on a traditional Thanksgiving theme, the 5th quarter review. It's still early here on the west coast (and at home where I usually am, people are just getting up to begin their adventure. Still, enough time to have a few boo-boos.
I'm in mom's kitchen. She alphabetizes her spices. Ground Cinammon and Ground Cumin are in identical containers right next to each other. She was talking, I was making pie. Fortunately it was the pumpkin pie not the apple pie, so i tossed in a little chili powder and when everyone comments on the spicy flavor I'll just pretend it was a recipe I saw somewhere. Luckily we don't usually put much cinnamon in the pumpkin pie. I won't get into how two cubes of butter ended up on the kitchen floor instead of in the pies. How did your Thanksgiving go?
The chocolate whipped cream my man made to top the no-bake peanut butter pie w/salted pretzel crust turned into ganache, as he confused two steps.
Less of a disaster or even near miss, as I decided to turn that bowl of ganache into pralines rolled in cocoa powder and sprinkled with Maldon flakes.
Of course, I haven't even started on my appetizer yet (first time cooking with gelatine... uh-oh!), so we'll see how disastrous that comes out :-)
Tried a beet gratin recipe I found on the net. Beets, cream, garlic, feta cheese - but mint in the cream? Okay, I'll try it.
Result: I'm not taking that dish to the dinner I'm headed to, no way. I have a reputation to uphold, and this is just way not tasty. The spinach casserole and Larry Forgione's pumpkin-buttermilk pudding will have to do.
Not having to do with food really, but my dishwasher damn near went up in flames.
The heating element burned straight through part of the door somehow at the end of the cycle. I kept walking into the kitchen thinking it smelled like burning plastic or rubber, then walking back out.
Finally I stopped the cycle to take a peek inside and even though everything was still wet, it was SMOLDERING. Holy cow. I'd almost gone to run errands; really grateful I was still at home.
Thanksgiving house fire of 2013 averted.
My 10 year old great nephew decided that throwing the football in the dining room, which was set but empty, at 5am was a good idea.
Luckily, his sister made a diving catch and caught the Waterford which was heading to the floor.
He has been banished to the children's table (usually for 8 and under) in the sunroom for dinner, and his parents have been invited to stay in the studio over the garage for the rest of weekend and keep him with them.
Biggest question is who left the dining room and main kitchen unlocked...........