Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Nov 19, 2013 04:44 PM

Quality fry pan (stock pot height) recommendation to keep splatter off a range

I have a new GE Monogram gas range and I'm trying reduce spray/splatter to make the new look last longer. Yes, I'm vain. But I cook a lot and I know over time wear and tear and splatter can affect the look of a range. And a good cleaning regime is important too. But I find reducing splatter (with a cover etc) goes a long way in the cleaning maintenance department. And with the new range I've found cooking with deep sided cookware helps keep the splatter off the range top. I have what I'd call a mid sized copper clad stock pot that does well with the splatter management, but it's not the best. I find it's doesn't brown or saute very well (likely because of its material and construction - cheap price point), and it's not wide or big enough for doing a half pound of bacon. I'd like something better, and bigger. Something that will function like a fry pan that I can brown and deglaze in, but also has deep sides. What style of cookware would make a good fry pan that has deep sides? Should I be looking at a quality dutch oven? Or a quality large and wide stock pot?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: Philly Ray

      Yes, I have a splatter screen. Not that mesh window screen type though. I find they don't last very long. I have a Calaphson splatter screen device that is more like a vented stainless steel lid than a screen. It's nice. But when i have to pull it off the pan to stir/flip etc, splatter flies all over. That's why I thought the solution would be to get a deep sided fry pan.

    2. Yes to the quality dutch oven.
      I've got a new cooktop and can relate to cringing at its losing its shiny newness.

      1. I use a high walled Farberware pan that is a half-height 6 or 8 qt pot. Same diameter, half the wall height. I see similar pans from other lines at Macy's.

        1. First, congratulations on your new toy.

          How about a rondeau?