HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

What in the world is this wooden utensil used for?

dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 08:37 AM

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well and learning how to cook!

We were helping close out a restaurant and found this wooden utensil. It looks as if it were never used. So it looks "new". I just can't think what it would be used for. Any ideas? Thanks!



  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. penthouse pup RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 11:55 AM

    Looks like a wooden pestle...

    1. mamachef RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 12:02 PM

      Some kind of strange pestle, I think...
      (sorry, didn't read reply below..)

      1. drongo RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 12:07 PM

        It looks new because just the threat of it is enough to get the line cooks working harder.....

        1 Reply
        1. re: drongo
          dewmanshu RE: drongo Nov 9, 2013 12:11 PM

          HAHA Great point!

        2. b
          bear RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 12:17 PM

          It looks sort of like a simple Mexican molinillo which is placed between two hands that are rubbed together to make a frothed drink. Could be wrong, though! Some of them are pretty intricately carved.

          6 Replies
          1. re: bear
            sunshine842 RE: bear Nov 9, 2013 12:38 PM

            I thought of that, or a muddler or masher.

            Depending on size, could be anything from a muddler for mint juleps up to a potato masher.

            1. re: sunshine842
              dewmanshu RE: sunshine842 Nov 9, 2013 04:01 PM

              I don't think it is a Molinillo. They are typically decorative and/or have smaller fins. I'll post a size reference shortly. Too big for a julep tool but maybe a potato smasher.

              1. re: dewmanshu
                bear RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 05:04 PM

                You are probably right. But, size does matter!

                1. re: dewmanshu
                  rainey RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 10:18 PM

                  Right. A moilinillo would have one or two loose parts on the handle -- free rings -- that would twirl around in the liquid along with the stable fin-like parts. They help work up the froth.

                  I'm thinking potato masher too.

                  1. re: rainey
                    tcamp RE: rainey Nov 11, 2013 07:57 AM

                    The old-style molinillos didn't have loose parts and were much plainer. I still think that is a viable option.

              2. re: bear
                tcamp RE: bear Nov 9, 2013 05:14 PM

                That was my first thought. I used to have a very plain one that looked a bit like the picture. My understanding is that the highly decorative features of molinillos are a pretty recent thing.


              3. w
                waking1 RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 12:21 PM

                Honey twirler?

                1 Reply
                1. re: waking1
                  dewmanshu RE: waking1 Nov 9, 2013 04:02 PM

                  Honey twirler doesn't typically have a break in the "fins" and their fins are horizontal versus this one having vertical. Relatively speaking.

                2. c
                  Cam14 RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 01:49 PM

                  Kraut pounder?

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: Cam14
                    dewmanshu RE: Cam14 Nov 9, 2013 04:04 PM

                    The tapered handle could make one think that, but the kraut pounder typically doesn't have "fins" like this. And the head is not flat enough to be an effective pounder in my opinion.

                  2. Chemicalkinetics RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 02:03 PM

                    If it is small, then it is for honey.

                    2 Replies
                    1. re: Chemicalkinetics
                      dewmanshu RE: Chemicalkinetics Nov 9, 2013 04:06 PM

                      I'll post a pic with a size reference, it's rather large in my opinion. I've never seen a honey ladle/twirler with funs up and down and then have a slots like that.

                      1. re: dewmanshu
                        Chemicalkinetics RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 05:13 PM

                        I actually doubt it is a hone twirler as well. It looks rather large. Like you said, it also run up and down.

                    2. kaleokahu RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 04:14 PM

                      Hi, dewmanshu:

                      WAG#1: A very large muddler/masher.

                      WAG#2: A spurtle for dishing something like thick oatmeal.


                      1 Reply
                      1. re: kaleokahu
                        JayL RE: kaleokahu Nov 12, 2013 05:58 AM

                        Chocolate stirrer. ;-)

                      2. d
                        dewmanshu RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 04:20 PM

                        Some pics with size reference




                        1. kitchengardengal RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 06:18 PM

                          It's kind of long, but could it be a masher for ab-goosht?

                          It's a lamb stew that you mash up in a wooden bowl. DH had it at a Persian restaurant in Atlanta. They gave him a wood bowl and masher at table to mash up his own stew.

                          1 Reply
                          1. re: kitchengardengal
                            dewmanshu RE: kitchengardengal Nov 11, 2013 06:30 PM

                            I don't know. It just doesn't seem like a masher to me.

                          2. 2
                            2babymom RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 07:00 PM

                            It looks like a tool which we use in India to extract butter from the buttermilk.

                            2 Replies
                            1. re: 2babymom
                              Miri1 RE: 2babymom Nov 9, 2013 08:38 PM

                              Looks like a muddler. Or the paddle for s butter churner...

                              1. re: 2babymom
                                dewmanshu RE: 2babymom Nov 11, 2013 06:27 PM

                                I researched that, I didn't see anything that resembled that. Do you have a link that could lead me to similar pics?

                              2. r
                                ricepad RE: dewmanshu Nov 9, 2013 10:09 PM

                                What kind of restaurant was it?

                                1 Reply
                                1. re: ricepad
                                  dewmanshu RE: ricepad Nov 11, 2013 06:26 PM

                                  eh, it was a more of a bar BBQ place. We all agreed, no matter what it was, it had no business in there. LOL

                                2. r
                                  ricepad RE: dewmanshu Nov 11, 2013 06:31 PM

                                  The Wooden King's Royal Sceptre?

                                  1. law_doc89 RE: dewmanshu Nov 11, 2013 06:53 PM

                                    I don't know its name, but it is a small mop handle (you bind rags at the end) and use it for cleaning out large pots.

                                    9 Replies
                                    1. re: law_doc89
                                      kitchengardengal RE: law_doc89 Nov 11, 2013 08:15 PM

                                      So it could be for BBQ mop sauce??

                                      1. re: law_doc89
                                        sunshine842 RE: law_doc89 Nov 12, 2013 03:56 AM

                                        y'know, I thought about that, too, but wasn't sure.

                                        You could make a sauce mop with that, too (although I'd expect it to be stained with sauce....)

                                        1. re: sunshine842
                                          JayL RE: sunshine842 Nov 12, 2013 05:57 AM

                                          Nope, I gave the answer already...it is a chocolate stirrer.

                                          You can modify it to do other things, but it's original purpose can't be changed.

                                          1. re: JayL
                                            sunshine842 RE: JayL Nov 12, 2013 03:53 PM

                                            and we've already discussed why it's not. Several times.

                                            1. re: sunshine842
                                              JayL RE: sunshine842 Nov 12, 2013 06:23 PM

                                              Well your discussion is wrong.


                                              And the one pictured by the OP looks to be manufactured by the IMUSA company.

                                              1. re: JayL
                                                dewmanshu RE: JayL Nov 17, 2013 05:54 AM

                                                Wow! What a great find. I sort of dig that piece, heck I might buy it. LOL But it is vintage and all newer chocolate stirrers don't resemble that thick form, as far as I can tell. This thing int he above pictures is new. Plus, when you twist, stir, and plunge with a stirrer you need those horizontal rings to pull up on the liquid as well. This one doesn't have that at all.

                                                Edit, I missed the post fromt eh Korean store pic. WOW. It just doesn't look like it'd work as well. But that would explain the cloth ring on the top of the handle. It looks festive.

                                                1. re: dewmanshu
                                                  JayL RE: dewmanshu Nov 17, 2013 05:59 AM

                                                  The one pictured above is vintage...but this one is new, and identical to the one pictured in the OP...

                                        2. re: law_doc89
                                          dewmanshu RE: law_doc89 Nov 17, 2013 05:51 AM

                                          This is my favorite answer. It is too new to be a vintage style chocolate mixer IMHO. I'd like to find a webpage selling the replaceable mop heads though.

                                          1. re: dewmanshu
                                            JayL RE: dewmanshu Nov 17, 2013 06:03 AM

                                            Read my reply above. While you can certainly use it any way you choose, it still doesn't change the fact that is a $4 chocolate stirrer (likely made by IMUSA).

                                        3. JayL RE: dewmanshu Nov 11, 2013 09:23 PM

                                          Come on people...it's a chocolate stirrer.

                                          1 Reply
                                          1. re: JayL
                                            law_doc89 RE: JayL Nov 13, 2013 04:19 AM

                                            Re-checking the size, I agree.

                                          2. s
                                            seamunky RE: dewmanshu Nov 12, 2013 10:04 PM

                                            Molinillo from Colombia


                                            1. tcamp RE: dewmanshu Nov 13, 2013 07:34 AM

                                              I stopped at the Hispanic/Korean grocery last night on the way home and look what was there. I asked an Hispanic manager what it was - for chocolate stirring, he said.

                                              1 Reply
                                              1. re: tcamp
                                                dewmanshu RE: tcamp Nov 17, 2013 06:12 AM

                                                OH crap I missed this post! HAHA WOW I just don't get how it would work that well for chocolate stirring.

                                              2. greygarious RE: dewmanshu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 AM

                                                I have no idea so I won't disagree with anyone but will add that it looks like it could ALSO be used to move oven racks in and out. Julia Child used something that looked like a thick wooden yardstick with a notch cut out toward one end. I believe she mentioned that her husband made it. Safer, faster, and easier than moving the hot rack with a potholder.

                                                1. JayL RE: dewmanshu Nov 18, 2013 05:59 AM

                                                  To put the final nail in this coffin...

                                                  You can purchase this utensil here:


                                                  2 Replies
                                                  1. re: JayL
                                                    dewmanshu RE: JayL Nov 18, 2013 06:58 AM

                                                    Nail in coffin. haha Thanks JayL!

                                                    1. re: dewmanshu
                                                      JayL RE: dewmanshu Nov 18, 2013 08:47 AM


                                                  Show Hidden Posts