HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

Is there a word for this?

ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 04:56 PM

When you drop a bag of pomegranate seeds or a carton of blueberries (or whatever spheroid edible object) onto the floor, the majority of those seeds or berries inevitably and invariably find their way into crevices that are impossible to reach.

Is there a word for that?

If so, please tell me because I need to complete this thought:

"Fuck, I hate _____!"

Thank you.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Veggo RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 05:05 PM

    herbivorous rat-in-the-hole?

    1. kitchengardengal RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 05:08 PM

      .... feeding the mice.

      1. zeldaz51 RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 05:11 PM


        1 Reply
        1. re: zeldaz51
          JerryMe RE: zeldaz51 Oct 28, 2013 04:46 PM

          Yeah, that's the word and it is EVERYWHERE!

        2. greygarious RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 05:19 PM

          Challenge accepted! Merging gluttony into the bowling mishap, the gutterball, I submit for your consideration: glutterballs.

          1. Caroline1 RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 05:35 PM

            Yeah, it's called "mouse food." No problem for people like former vice presidents who have illnesses like atrial fibrillation, and are on Coumadin/warfarin therapy. You just crush up one of your pills and slip it into the cracks with the offending "mouse food". Did you know that warfarin is America's #1 selling rat poison???*

            *Do not do this if children or pets are resident in the home!!!

            1 Reply
            1. re: Caroline1
              DuffyH RE: Caroline1 Oct 26, 2013 05:42 PM

              <Did you know that warfarin is America's #1 selling rat poison???*>

              Per it's Wiki entry (taken with the usual grain of...) Warfarin is declining in use, being surpassed by other coumarins that are more lethal and to which the rats aren't yet resistant, as they are to Warfarin.

              But if isn't today, it sure was!

            2. biondanonima RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 06:56 PM

              This sounds like a problem for a German. Linguafood, wo bist du?

              1. MplsM ary RE: ipsedixit Oct 26, 2013 09:00 PM

                It's either
                1) the butterfingers corollary of Newtons laws, or
                2) Fig Newton's first law of motion.

                1 Reply
                1. re: MplsM ary
                  ipsedixit RE: MplsM ary Oct 26, 2013 09:04 PM

                  Or maybe what Murphy did after eating a Fig Newton?

                2. p
                  pine time RE: ipsedixit Oct 28, 2013 12:33 PM

                  At our house, they're cousins to dust bunnies, so we call 'em "roller bunnies."

                  1. Will Owen RE: ipsedixit Oct 28, 2013 12:45 PM

                    I've had several houses that had abundant unreachable crannies in the kitchen. This is not one of them, but back when I did occasionally feed the mice (especially in that old farmhouse outside of Sonora, where stuff would go through the floorboards onto the dirt beneath) there were several words I commonly used, none of which was a noun describing the situation. More of an expletive …

                    1. NonnieMuss RE: ipsedixit Oct 28, 2013 03:56 PM

                      Scattershot, as in "the rice went all scattershot." In my house anyway.

                      1. KaimukiMan RE: ipsedixit Oct 28, 2013 04:09 PM


                        works in a variety of ways and is sufficiently vague as to confuse those around you. or maybe combine it with scattershot to become "scattershot rebounds", the redundancy sort of fills an emotional need to vent at length.

                        "Great Zeus, these scattershot rebounds are most annoying" or words to that effect.

                        1 Reply
                        1. re: KaimukiMan
                          Caroline1 RE: KaimukiMan Oct 28, 2013 04:45 PM

                          I prefer to think of them as mini-time capsules stored away for some future amateur archaeologist to ponder... "Blech! Who the he'll would eat THAT!"

                        2. cayjohan RE: ipsedixit Oct 28, 2013 07:14 PM

                          "Shop Vac Time."

                          1. jrvedivici RE: ipsedixit Oct 29, 2013 08:44 AM

                            "The Dallas Cowboys'" pretty much completes that sentence.

                            1. Midlife RE: ipsedixit Oct 29, 2013 11:11 AM

                              Maybe they go to the same place as all those half-pairs of socks????? But, my son has a French Bulldog that can root out anything. She's not good with socks, but may be helpful with blueberries.

                              Show Hidden Posts