Kuala Lumpur - Traditional Malay Buffet Spread at Restoran Puteri Penchala
This popular Malay restaurant was founded back in 1984 by Rubiah Suparman, a well-known Malay singer who also turned out to be a gifted cook.
Perched on a hillock, the scenic restaurant churns out a lunch buffet spread of traditional Malay dishes from Mon-Sat (11am-3pm). Among the dishes offered today were:
- Ayam Masak Merah: spicy chicken in red curry
- Daging Rendang: slow-cooked beef in dark-spicy rendang sauce.
- Acar Rampai: Malay-style cucumber-carrot-cili pickles
- Ikan Goreng Berlada: fried fish-steak smothered with minced chillis
- Ketam Masak Lemak: flower crabs cooked in a spicy turmeric-scented curry sauce
- Siput Sedut Masak Lemak Cili Api: horn-shell cooked in coconut-scented chilli-spiced sauce
- Pajeri Nenas: sweet-sour-spicy pineapples
- Dalcha Sayur: Curried vegetables
- Taugeh Goreng: stir-fried beansprouts with fried hard tofu
I actually enjoyed more the noodle dishes:
- Laksa Johor: a specialty curry laksa using spaghetti pasta, from the southern Malaysian state of Johore.
- Soto Ayam: thin rice noodles in a spiced soup, topped with shredded chicken and "perkedel kentang" (Malay-style potato croquettes).
Dessert was a selection of colourful traditional Malay-style puddings, the most famous of which is the "lompat tikam" - a green-white junket-like pudding topped with liquid brown sugar syrup, from the north-eastern Malaysian state of Kelantan.
Restoran Puteri Penchala
Lot 3074, Jalan Datuk Sulaiman
Taman Tun Dr Ismail
60000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 7728 4886