DTW: Best Italian Sub
- momskitchen Oct 14, 2013 07:53 AM
My colleague Greg and I have been tasting all the Italian subs we can get our hands on.....here are my rankings thus far:
1) Ventimiglios - Sterling Heights Real Italian charcuterie, not just bologna and ham like some of the other places. Their hot pepper mix makes them slightly in the lead over the second place contender..but they are also the most expensive at $7.50. Get the hard roll.
2) Alcamos - Dearborn. I haven't been there in years, not since I bought my Jordan almonds for wedding favors 21 years ago> Charcuterie is top notch. No choice of hard or soft roll, but the roll is hard which is good $5
3) Gonellas (either Oakwood Detroit or Outer Drive Dearborn location, sandwiches are virtually identical despite claims otherwise - the only difference is the price, which is $4.50 or $5.75 for Dearborn one) Its a great sub, but the deli meat isn't authentic like the other 2....it's just regular bologna and ham. Still good though. I much prefer the hard roll over soft
4) Terry's - Clinton Township The best value, by far. This sub is easily double the size of any of the above - one sub is more than enough for 2 people and it's $5. Get the Terry's special, which is a typical Italian sub. The roll is soft
Where else should we try????/
WRT Ventimiglios, I cannot stress enough how important the roll was to me, the roll being their artisan roll, which I've been informed is different from their hard roll (nearly found out the hard way when I went for the second time).
But yeah...that is one great sandwich. It's better than Gonella's due to that roll and the hot pepper mix, but the fact that it's basically 50% higher in price does temper things a bit. I still love it, though.
OK, I realize this is a chain (I think), and I've only had a quarter of a sub once, but I'd be interested in how you would rate Jersey Mike's.
I haven't tried any of the places mentioned, but I love me an Italian Sub.
And I'll get around to all these places eventually.
Running the Detroit half marathon Sunday. I assume Ventimiglia's is open Sunday? That would make a great post race meal!
Well MC, I've gotta tell you, I honestly haven't been to Jersey Mike's yet. I ended up going with my buddy to Firehouse Subs last Wednesday, and couldn't even bring myself to order anything. We're talking *ridiculous* money for poor looking and tiny portions. It really was shocking to me that this is a growing chain...I won't be back, pretty much ever.
I would have to be *ultra*-desperate to eat there/pay their prices. It wasn't just disappointment...I was actually kind of offended by the place.
Full disclosure: they also lost points because they're one of those places that corporately mandates a choral greeting from everyone working there whenever anyone walks through the door. It's painful, awful, and in all ways undignified. Still: my disgust is mainly with the food and prices.