Small (tiny) wedding dinner in Downtown Mpls
Hi, my partner and I are getting married at the Mpls courthouse on Friday at 4:30 and we're looking for a place for dinner for 5 adults and 3 kids (all 9 yrs old). I'd love to go to Restaurant Alma, but I don't think it'd work for the kids. Is it possible to find a nice place that is kid-friendly. We thought we'd go for drinks and apps beforehand somewhere else (Ike's?). I don't like Melting Pot, but I wondered about Hell's Kitchen. I'd love to hear suggestions. Most of us are vegetarian, but that's usually no obstacle. Thanks!
Hell's Kitchen is great, but always noisy it seems. If you are in the mood for conversation, probably not the best choice. It would be fine for kids, actually kind of like that it's noisy cause if my toddler has a melt down, it's hard to hear.
I love Haute Dish over on Washington Ave. It would be a couple of blocks away, but the food is always great, and they are veggie friendly. It won't help you for friday, but they do an all vegetarian tasting menu for Sunday dinner, YUM.
I would consider Masa on Nicollet Mall. It is Mexican, but not Tex-Mex. The food is very good, plenty of veggie stuff, the cocktails are killer, and if all else fails the kids can eat chips and guacamole. The space is lovely as well.
Zelo would also work. It is Italian. The food is never A+, but it is almost always B+, and the menu is large. Plenty of pasta and pizzas for the kids. The Walleye MIlanese is good, and the sausage lasagna is really good.
Saffron might be a good option - a little less formal than Alma, but still has a "special occasion" feel. I think the food is delicious and they have many vegetarian options.
I think with kids, you're best bet might be Bar La Grassa. I'm afraid Saffron might be a bit too exotic for them based on your post. I think you'll be able to find a number of vegetarian dishes and it's one of the Twin Cities better restaurants.
As much as I like the food at Hell's Kitchen, I've noticed the last few times I've been there that it smells like pee. Yes, pee. So yeah, I think I'd avoid celebrating my marriage there.
I'd do Red Stag, Zelo, Solera, Saffron, and I wouldn't count out Alma. 9-year olds are pretty well-behaved and I think just about any restaurant would be fine for them. And it sounds like you'll be doing an early dinner, which is prime family time. Congrats!
Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I had fun looking up a lot of menus online. And I want to try them all eventually.
Second, if I were getting married at the Mpls courthouse, this is what I'd do.
1. Go to Izzy's Minneapolis for some pre-wedding ice cream. I might also stop by Sea Change in the Guthrie (a block away) for a scenic pre-wedding cocktail. I haven't ever had drinks here, but the view over the Mississippi river is awesome (and booze is booze, when all is said and done).
2. Get married. (By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!)
3. Go to Izzy's for some post-wedding ice cream.
4. Have dinner at one of the many wonderful options nearby. Me, if I had three 9-year-olds in tow, I'd probably go to Zen Box, Alma (very quiet atmosphere, but great veg pasta options), or Vincent (sit in the bar if you're feeling casual; they have fabulous burgers for the non-vegetarians, but can do great veg meals as well - call ahead to confirm).
5. Finally, I'd go to Izzy's for a post-dinner round of ice cream. I can't think of anything better than three ice cream cones each to celebrate such a wonderful occasion!