Upcoming Changes to Chowhound Profile Pages
- Dave MP Sep 25, 2013 01:32 PM
I'm writing to let everyone know about some upcoming changes to Chowhound profile pages. I'll be explaining all of the changes in detail when we launch them (probably tomorrow, Thursday 9/26). But the biggest changes are as follows:
1) If you navigate to your own profile page, the default landing page will be called "My Followed Discussions." Here you will see a list of all discussions that you are following, which is private to you.
a) If you participate in a discussion, it will automatically be added to "My Followed Discussions"
b) If you don't participate in a discussion, you can still add it to your "My Followed Discussions"
c) If you no longer want to follow a discussion, you can remove it from your "My Followed Discussions"
2) Email Notifications, if you choose to have them on, will be based on "My Followed Discussions" which means that you can get email notifications about discussions you are interested in (but haven't participated in), or you can stop getting emails about discussions you are no longer interested in.
3) When this launches, you'll see that "My Followed Discussions" will be populated with all of the discussions you've ever participated in, plus all of the discussions you've ever saved. When we launch, the distinct "Saved Discussions" section of profile will still exist, and you'll still have access to it if you want to bookmark any discussions that are there, but eventually it will be completely merged in to the "My Followed Discussions" section. The star that was being used to save discussions will now be used to follow them.
4) You will still be able to access your "Reading List" which shows discussions that people you follow have participated in.
5) When you navigate to another user's profile, you'll be able to see their four public pages (and you can also view your own): All Discussions, Posts, Photos, Saved Recipes. All of these are much like the pages that currently exist.
This post is really just a heads-up that changes are happening in the near future. I'll be posting again when we launch, and hopefully everything will become more clear at that point too. The aim of all of this is to create an easier-to-use profile for all users, and also to add functionality for following/unfollow discussions, a feature users have been asking for for many years.
I'll do my best to answer any questions directly related to what I've said here, but may decide to wait on answering some questions until after we launch, when everything I'm saying will become much more clear.
So followed discussions and my activity is being combined?
Right now we see discussions we participated in in my activity and discussions we want to save in followed. I personally really like it that way. I have a lot of COTM threads on my saved/followed page that I may or may not have posted in. I'm not at all interested in having that also be cluttered with every thread I've ever posted on.
So is there a way to opt out of automatically having every post I've ever made added to the list? I certainly do not want to have to go in there and manually remove superfluous threads. I rarely bother to follow threads I've posted on, but I like that I can already the way it is now at the same time that I can limit what's in my saved/followed folder so it's easier to navigate.
Why fix what isn't broken?
On My Followed Discussions, will there be a way to distinguish (at a glance) between threads one wants to follow but not participate in, and threads one has participated in by posting?
I am forever grateful that I can unsubscribe from that moronic Trader Joe's thread that I mindlessly commented on. Thanks.
All this seems fine to me, except for the phrase "My Followed Discussions," which is hideous. And redundant. If a discussion is "mine," I'm obviously following it. How else did I come to own it?
I think the heading should be changed to "Threads I'm Stalking."
From South Pacific: "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair".
Works both ways...fortuitously!
You can still get to them here: http://www.chow.com/profile/59258/fav...
They will only be available there for a couple more weeks so that you are able save them off as bookmarks or another method of your choice.
More details and discussion about this can be found in the announcement thread here:
Thank you. I do appreciate that I can save them somewhere.
It makes very little sense to me that I have to leave chowhound.chow.com in order to "bookmark" the real gems from this site. The other option, deselecting "favorite" from over 80 pages of posts, doesn't sounds like much fun.
I am disappointed that such a useful feature was eliminated to create two almost identical "lists."