Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Sep 21, 2013 09:52 AM

induction cooktop and electric/convection oven references

I am remodeling a nyc apt and want to know what brand induction cooktop and what brand convection/electric oven i should buy

It is my first induction purchase and as this is not my primary residence I want really good appliances but dont want to break the bank

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)

    This is the newer (and better) version of what I have. Better cause of the flex zone on top and the dual flex oven (not an issue for me but for plenty of people it is). I bought my first one about four years ago and when I remodeled the kitchen in our second home, I bought the same thing. Mine cost about $1600 IIRC so this price may be high cause it's new. Check with Home Depot. You'd NEVER take me down to gas again :)

    1. Hi, ellen:

      If you're already committed to induction, try:

      They're extremely zealous, but well-informed.


      1 Reply
      1. re: kaleokahu


        I've find them a bit TOO "zealous" but they do have lots of info.

      2. Have you checked out the gardenweb appliances forum:

        There are a lot of recent discussions of both induction cooktops and electric convection wall-ovens. There also are discussions of installing ovens in cabinetry beneath the cooktop, if that is what you had in mind. .

        It also is a good place to look If you are actually looking for a range instead of a cooktop and oven.

        The link that c. oliver gave you is to the Samsung NE599NOPBSR, a freestanding 30" induction range. It has both the flex-zone burner (i.e., a 9"x18" zone that can be run as two separate burners or as one large burner for griddles and etc.) and the "flex-duo" oven (which comes with a panel that, when inserted into the middle oven rack, divides the oven into two separately controllable chambers.)

        Unfortunately for you in NYC, the NE599 currently only seems to be available on the Canadian side of the border. The Samsung induction ranges available on the US side of the border are the NE595NOPBSR and the NE597NOPBSR with the latter having the flex-zone on top but not the flex-duo divisible oven feature.

        AFAIK, the Samsung induction stoves and an LG induction cooktop are the only induction appliances available here that have "bridgable" elements There are numbers of induction cooktops and induction ranges that allow you to lay a griddle across two elements in the zone, but you have adjust each burner separately.

        There are also so-called "zoneless" or "full surface" induction cooktops available from the likes of Thermador and Gagenau (both Bosch-Seimens subsidiaries) which dispense with tranditional hobs and allow you to put a number of pans of variying sizes anywhere on the cooktop. Still very much a high-end thing and priced accordingly.

        1 Reply
        1. re: JWVideo

          I cooked on the Thermador one and just loved it. But it IS quite pricey.

        2. I am using a single burner induction unit to get used to using it. My next home will have induction. What I really want is the wall (full sized) ovens from Kitchen Aid. We used them in the store and they are wall mount, I don't want an oven where I have to bend over to see what is going on. I have been spoiled by having a wall mounted oven for 25 years.

          What I like about the KA is that it is very easy to see inside, it has convection and steam injection (great for bread baking). I want a double stack so we'll have his & her ovens.

          1 Reply
          1. re: Candy

            I agree. If I'd been able or willing to rip out the existing kitchen, I'd have gone with double wall ovens. Instead I have the range and then a Samsung MW/convection that's huge so when I need a second one, which isn't often, I have that.