HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >
What's your latest food project? Get great advice

Large rugalah? (more like a big dense jam cookie)

nasdaddy Sep 16, 2013 06:47 PM

I would like to find a recipe for this dessert item sold at Haymishe and What-a-bagel....it is dense and can be sliced in bread slicer. At Haymishe they call it a large rugalah and also jam loaf but I can't seem to find any Google images of such a creation. It is verrrry tasty, and has a rolled layer of jam, cinnamon, and raisins trailing through it. Anyone have a proper name or recipe for this??? (photo is cut in half...you get one guess at where the other half is)

  1. justsayn Sep 16, 2013 07:25 PM

    I think it's a Russian tea biscuit.

    1. t
      Tatai Sep 17, 2013 10:19 AM

      Haymishe closed up last year because of fire, but I've tried this at both Haymishe and What-A-Bagel. It reminds me of a jam-and-nut strudel that's been layered instead of prepared jelly-roll fashion.

      There are tons of "strudel cookie" and "jam strudel" recipes on the Internet. I'm sure you could adapt any recipe to create a layered, rather than rolled, strudel.

      Show Hidden Posts