Release Notes for 9/5/13 – New Photo Experience
Today’s release introduced some new features to the desktop and tablet versions of Chowhound. I am including three photos in this post, so you can try it out some of the changes right on this page.
Photos on Chowhound Discussions:
1) If you click a photo in a discussion, it will open a modal (box) that lets you view all photos from that discussion.
2) Each photo includes a snippet of the post that it’s a part of, and a link to navigate directly to that post.
3) When you close the photo modal, you should end up back where you started on the discussion, with all your collapsed/uncollapsed posts in the same state.
4) You can close the photo modal by clicking outside it, clicking on the x, or pressing escape on your keyboard.
5) Each photo has a distinct URL link that can be copied using the link button, allowing you to paste the link elsewhere.
6) You can click the icon in the top left of the modal to toggle to a thumbnail view of all photos in a discussion.
7) Coming Soon: Share a specific photo on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. As of this release, Twitter should be working, while Pinterest and Facebook may still only share a generic link for the discussion.
New Dropdown for Logged-In Users in Top-Right of Screen:
8) Use the new dropdown to navigate to Settings or Profile, or to Log Out. We are beginning the task of separating Profile and Settings, and this is the first step in making that change.
9) Clicking on your name will bring you straight into your profile.
If you have any comments or questions feel free to leave those here.
Hmmm, I did what I did before on another thread (right-clicked to see the picture in a separate tab), but when I closed the modal view as well as the 2nd tab, all posts were closed as if I had read all the posts (when I hadn't).
Will have to wait to see if clicking on photo in another thread, such as the What's For Dinner threads, closes or keeps open the unread posts.
re: Dave MP
Yes, I know that. Although I didn't know that prior to having right-clicked on a pic in another thread. Since right-clicking was the ONLY way to ensure new posts in the thread remained unread after viewing the pic in the past, it's habit to do so. So it was a bit disconcerting to have the entire thread be shown as "read" when I clicked out of the picture.
Again, will have to wait until another picture is posted on a thread I'm reading/commenting on to see if the new format does work.
I don't post photos, but I do look at them on occasion. From a reader's perspective the team has done a very nice job on this upgrade. Slick appearance, functions as described, and adds value to the reading experience. Well done!