Shunji Summer Update
- Porthos Aug 9, 2013 09:14 AM
Because friends were in town.
Wowed multiple times along with several oohs and ahhs.
1. Lightly torched kinmedai on grated mountain yams and okra leaves
2. Shunji flight of appetizers. The octopus is like silk, the ikura pops perfectly.
3. Shrimp, shitake, spinach on buckwheat
4. Glorious summer truffle chawan mushi with uni
5. Live halibut (not flounder) sashimi sliced paper thin. Note the engawa on the side (so tender), and the fried skin next to it. Halibut chicharones is delicious. The preparation is not for the faint of heart. The halibut was prepared so that it will move if given sake or ice water.
6. Hokkaido hairy crab. The kani miso served on the side was so sweet. Shunji overheard how much my friend loved crab and gave him a round of hanasaki crab to compare.
7. Sashimi plate of shima aji, hamachi belly, and I forget the two others. Note the 3 piece from the left on the strip of lemon zest. It's not just for decoration. You can actually pick up the hint of the lemon on that piece.
8. Shunji tomato
9. Simmered flounder
10. Flight of wild blue fin toro from boston. From right to left: lean, chu toro, o-toro, and kama toro.
11. Close up of kama toro served only with salt and pepper so the delicate sweetness is highlighted more
13. Uni, wagyu beef, on Japanese eggplant. Wow this is good. Seafood, red meat, and vegetable combined in one harmonious bite. Outstanding
15. Shira ebi
16. Miso soup with amaebi head
17. The Man himself cutting a perfect, perfect block of o-toro.
Don't get me wrong. It's great. And for the price its a steal. But it's still expensive in that you are actually dropping dollars.
Having said that, I'm overdue on a visit.
And yeah the one beer on tap they have is OK. Hmm, can one bring a few bottles of their own berets or would that not be cool. ????