Infused water - your favorite combos
I'm looking for some ideas for infused water...fruit, herb, veggie, spice, etc. Only criteria is the final pitcher of water can't have loads of sugar in it.
For the summer, I'm thinking pineapple and mint. Or watermelon, cucumber, and mint. Or tea with berries.
But I'm sure you hounds have some other creative ideas! Thoughts?
On really hot days I do cucumber, apple, lemon, and mint. I don't add any sugar. I think cucumber is a great starting point and then I just sort of embellish it.
One thing to think about is Agua de Jamaica. It is a popular lightly sweetened hibiscus iced tea. It it totally delicious and refreshing if you can find hibiscus flowers. Oddly, my Walmart carries hibiscus flowers. Not like they just have them in stock, but they are Walmart brand "Great Value" hibiscus flowers in large bags. Not sure what's going on there but whatever works.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/vie... (for some reason he calls them "jamaica 'flowers'" the whole time but I assure you it is hibiscus flowers.)
Yes, common here too (in Washington). I use them all the time and find big bags of them at my local Mexican Market. They are very inexpensive there, compared to Whole Foods or similar store.
I use them in herbal iced teas. Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea is made with them. I prefer to make my own with ginger tea, lemon tea, and I add orange slices or a lemon grass stalk, then some hibiscus flower and a tiny bit of stevia (hibiscus can get rather tart). Awesome infused drink!
Best infused water that I ever had simply had paper-thin slices of thin-rind watermelon in it (like sugarbaby watermelon). Wonderful.
List of Fruit and Vegetable Infused Water
6. Blood Orange-Ginger-Basil
7. Blood Orange-Grapes-Apples
9. Blueberry-Plum-Apple-(Mint or Sage)
10. Cantaloupe-Blood Orange-Lemon
12. Cantaloupe-Honeydew-Watermelon-(Sage or Mint)
17. Cherry-Pineapple-Granny Smith Apple
19. Cucumber-Grapefruit-(Sage or Rosemary)
22. Cucumber-Lemon-Lime-(Mint or Basil)
25. Cucumber-Seeded Jalapeno
27. Grapefruit-(Mint or Basil or Rosemary or Sage or Cilantro)
30. Lemon-(Mint or Basil or Rosemary or Sage or Cilantro)
31. Lemon-Cactus Pear
34. Lemon-Maple Syrup-Cayenne Powder
36. Lemon-Tangerine-Pear-Seeded Jalapeno-Cilantro
44. Pear-(Rosemary or Sage)
49. Pineapple-Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinegar-Basil
55. Watermelon-(Mint or Rosemary or Basil)
* Dry Herbs = Cinnamon 1 teaspoon; Ginger 1/2 teaspoon; Cayenne Powder 1/8-1/4 teaspoon.
* Fresh Herbs = Mint 6-8 leaves; Sage 1-2 leaves, Basil 2-4 leaves; Rosemary 1-2 sprigs; Cilantro 10-20 leaves; Cinnamon ½ stick; Ginger 3-6 thin slices of root; Vanilla Bean 1 bean.
* Apple Cider Vinegar = 1 teaspoon.
* Maple Syrup (2 Tablespoons) = Real Maple Syrup not the knock off you put on your kids pancakes.
* Vanilla Ice Cubes = 1 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract and rest water per ice cube. (Cheaper than Vanilla Beans)
* Frozen fruits and vegetables can be used. It is best if they are organic with “no sugar added”.
* IMPORTANT: Add a dash of SEA SALT to all water mixtures!!! Why? To properly hydrate yourself your body needs sodium. Also it is a natural preservative; this means your water mixtures can last up to a week in a cold fridge. I get fancy and use Pink Himalayan Salt (Meijer’s sells a big grinder for $6).
* AVOID SPOILAGE: Freeze your mixture. Zip lock bag, dash of salt, Fruits/Vegetables/Herbs/Spices, and enough water to cover fruits and vegetables.
* Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, etc… will lose their color/flavor fast.
* Fresh herbs leaves may become discolored black, brown, etc…
* Check with your doctor to see if any of these foods interfere with your medication. Grapefruit and other citrus fruits are well known to mess with medication; especially the medication COUMADIN.
* Always muddle the fruits and vegetables. I like to rip them apart with my hands; it really gets the juices flowing.
* Drink 64 ounces of water in a day. I will reuse the same mixture until there is not flavor left in the ingredients.