My New Orleans Experience in July 2013
Just came back from a week in New Orleans (first visit) and this forum lead us to some wonderful meals.
1) Splurge dinner at Commander's Palace in the Garden Room (great view of trees!). The pork belly, turtle soup, gulf fish in pecan sauce and filet mignon were highlights. The bread pudding soufflé was a let down; perhaps because I was so stuffed by then! Service was impeccable - truly outstanding.
2) Brunch at Couchon Butcher - I had the charcuterie plate to share and the pancetta mac & cheese - both were fantastic dishes and I'd go back in a heart beat.
3) Bruch at The Court of the Two Sisters (with jazz trio) on Royal St.- great buffet at a great price - Marlon our waiter was outstanding. A lovely setting. Fabulous drinks.
4) Nice evening jazz cruise on the Natchez but I'd skip the dinner buffet next time - it doesn't compare to other food we enjoyed on the trip.
5) Fantastic small plates dining with jazz at The 3 Muses on Frenchman St.
Other music we enjoyed - the jazz lounge at the Royal Hotel - outstanding music every time we dropped in - 5 piece bands, top vocalists. Also the Dixie jazz at the outdoor venue across from the Royal Hotel in the Café Begnet courtyard. Note, we had to brave Bourbon St. to get to both of these, but they made it worth the noise, crowds, off-putting smell and general debauchery of Bourbon St. We also stopped in at the Spotted Cat on Frenchman St. for a drink and some music on our 3 muses night. Lots of great music all up & down Frenchman St outside the clubs as well.
All in all, a feast for the senses and we'd love to go back at a less hot & humid time of year. Thanks for all the great suggestions! Donna