The Pines – Backyard
I didn’t see a thread on this so decided to start one. I recently went here with my wife and another couple and our two 1-2 year old sons (they had one high-chair which worked fine for our needs). Simply put, we were very disappointed. There was only one server/host in back and while he was friendly, he was not very clear in how the backyard system works (FYI – seat yourself, get water yourself, he’ll take drink orders and bring them to you, you go up to him at a counter to order food, no menus – look at blackboard). That lack of communication is easy enough to get over, but the food wasn’t. We were pretty excited to try this after hearing such good things about the main restaurant and decided to order one of everything (except one dish) on the small menu and then get more of what we liked most (each dish was $6). We didn’t order seconds of anything. Before I move on to what we got a quick note about drinks. Sitting outside was nice and I could see this be a nice place to grab an outdoor drink, but they only had ONE beer on tap and only a couple more not on tap. They did also have sangria and some cider. Another thing – my friend’s wife is pregnant and did not want to drink alcohol. Asked if she could have a sparkling water. Waiter said yes and then came back and said sorry, but I can’t bring out anything from the inside restaurant (come on not even a non-alcoholic drink for a preggo?!) He offered sprite instead, she said ginger ale would be ok, again he came back, sorry but soda is inside too so I can’t get you that. The only non-alcoholic drink we have is tap water….
None of the items listed on their online menu were available. We got:
1. Flatbread with spicy tomato puree – probably the best dish, but essentially just a quesadilla
2. Lamb bacon and potatoes – two skewers with a piece of bacon and a piece of potato. Ok b/c I like bacon, but NOT GOOD
3. Summer rolls – these were called “Banh Mi” summer rolls. I have no idea what was Banh Mi about them. I love both banh mi and summer rolls, but there was nothing flavorful about them. Very dull and the included sauce seem like stor bough duck sauce.
4. Grilled carrots with ranch dressing
5. Pork sausage on a roll
6. Grilled greens – more like burnt than grilled