Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
May 18, 2013 10:34 AM

Frying thermometer for skillet

I want to get a fry thermometer to use with my 10" cast-iron skillet.

I already have these:

There's nothing really wrong with either, but they don't work terribly well with a skillet: its sides are so low that with the thermometer's clip slid all the way down (so the probe can fit inside without the tip touching the bottom) they're very top heavy and fall over if you just look at them wrong.

Is there anything that fits a skillet better?

I'd prefer something digital, mainly because of how much quickly it reads temperature changes. Bonus: that it can be used while a lid is in place, perhaps by a detachable display portion.

Anyone know of such a beast?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I use my Thermapen. It's not meant to be a frying thermometer, but it reads so quickly that I've never been hit with hot grease. Of course, I only use it to check the temp BEFORE adding food and to check recovery, so there's not much danger of splatter.