London - Sunday Dim Sum Brunch at Joy King Lau
- klyeoh May 12, 2013 12:14 PM
Joy King Lau is one of the restaurants in the Chinatown vicinity that opens fairly early (11am) for dim sum on Sunday. What we had today:
- "Siu mai": steamed pork-prawn dumplings - pretty well-done here. Tasty.
- "Har-kau": Steamed prawn dumplings - well-marinated prawns and bamboo shoots, but the skin was a bit chewy.
- "Cha siu-bao": Steamed Chinese barbecued-caramel pork buns - not thebest I'd had in London, but satisfying all the same.
- "Ngau yuk kau": Steamed minced beef ball dumplings - best item we had here - smooth texture and nice flavours.
- "Wu kok": Crisp, deep-fried yam dumplings with minced pork-mushroom flling - stodgier skin than what a good "wu kok" should be, but the requisite flavours were there.
Overall, not the best dim sum I'd had in London - that honour goes to Royal China Club (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/878337) on Baker St, Marylebone - but credit goes to Joy King Lau for preserving all the traditional tastes of each dim sum item there right to a 't'. What you get here is good old-fashioned Cantonese cooking.
Joy King Lau
3 Leicester Street
London WC2H 7BL
Tel: +44 2074371132/ +44 2074371133