Kuala Lumpur - Sri Lankan Tamil Dishes at Yarl Corner
- klyeoh May 11, 2013 01:20 AM
A tiny makeshift building on the corner of Jalan Tun Sambanthan 3 (near Petronas service station) is the site of the amazing Yarl Corner, which churns out a mind-boggling array of Sri Lankan Tamil dishes. The place is run entirely by Sri Lankan Tamil war refugees re-settled in Kuala Lumpur by the UNHCR.
My lunch plate today consisted of:
- Flower crab kuttu curry: searingly-hot, delicious flower crabs. The gravy was to-die for.
- Chilli-spiced tofu: okay, so I thought this a paneer dish, but it turned out to be Chinese hard tofu blanketed in red-hot chilli spice paste. Very Malaysian indeed.
- Sura vare: a flaked shark-meat and grated coconut dish which was somewhat similar to a Keralan dish I had at Gandhi Eating House in Singapore's Little India years ago. Very tasty.
- Wattaka kalupol: a thick pumpkin curry scented with dark-roasted curry powder. I thought this was a dhal curry initially. Delicious all the same.
One of the best Indian street food I'd ever had in Kuala Lumpur.
Jalan Tun Sambanthan 3
50470 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +6010 360 6624 (N.Theepan)/+6016 272 4009 (R.Radha)