HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

Discussion

Mango Question

So I bought some small yellow mangoes (apparently their official name is Ataulfo) at Sprouts today because they were on sale 3/$1. I'm ashamed to say I've never eaten a mango of any variety. I am thinking of making a bbq sauce with mango and pineapple this weekend. The recipe calls to use frozen and then puree them but I'd like to use these fresh ones.

So, my question is, is the taste of yellow mangoes significantly different than the larger more typical mangoes?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. Not enough to mess up your sauce at all. In fact, I think these will be better. The big red round Indian ones (Alfonso) are much sweeter. These small Mexican ones have a tartness I really like.

    1. I don't think the difference is in the taste but rather the texture of the flesh. Yellow mango flesh is a bit like cantaloupe and not nearly as stringy as your typical American large mangoes.

      1. The ataulfos are my absolute favorites. Intense flavor, no stringiness, and a great combination of sweet and tart.

        1 Reply
        1. re: EWSflash

          Custard like texture and very floral and sweet.

        2. Sweet, thanks everyone. I'm kinda wishing I bought an extra one just to eat!

          1. There are as many types of mangos as there are apples, if not more. Thousands. Living in a mango friendly zone, they will soon be at the curb ready for pickup along with the other yard waste.

            Eat them. If they taste like turpentine, or are very stringy, cook them. If you are allergic to poison ivy, throw them out.

            If yours are long and thin, they are a widely cultivated eating mango. Here in Florida they sometimes go by the name Champagne. Can't remember the Thai name.

            Enjoy.

            6 Replies
            1. re: INDIANRIVERFL

              Say what? Did you mean to say those of us who are allergic to poison ivy shouldn't eat any mangoes? Or only if they taste like turpentine and are stringy? Not trying to be facetious, I truly haven't heard this. And would one break out in hives or what from eating said mango?

              1. re: MrsJonesey

                Poison ivy and I do not get along well. I have an epi pen. Due to finding various other vegetation that I cannot abide here in the sub-tropics.

                I have to be very careful when picking them, as the sap will cause a reaction akin to being burned with acid. Walked under the trees once during a rain and they had the trach kit ready for action at the hospital.

                Luckily, I can handle, skin, and eat them with no problem. A friend of mine is a nurse at the Emergency Room and stated that this reaction is not uncommon. Realise, these are straight off the tree, and not processed as those in the supermarket.

                The Space Coast use to be famous for the mango groves between the Banana and Indian Rivers. Now huge riverfront houses. One of which use to be mine. With mango trees that produced fruit I have never seen in any American market.

                1. re: INDIANRIVERFL

                  Thanks for clarifying. That is great that you can at least eat them. Sorry you are that allergic to the plants. You have been through some scary times, no doubt.

                  1. re: MrsJonesey

                    Plants are nothing. I live on a boat. Been hit by lightning 5 times so far. Great sashimi though.

                2. re: MrsJonesey

                  Mangoes, poison ivy (as well as cashews and pistachios) have urushiol oil which many people are allergic to. They're all in the same plant family. It's found in the skin of cashews, mangoes and pistachios so it's possible to harvest the fruit w/out spreading the oils but harder in some situations. But, there could be reasons why you'd only react to poison ivy (maybe quantity) and not the others. My daughter is allergic to cashews and pistachios and we keep her away from mangoes because that's not something they regularly test on kids. It could be just breaking out in hives or could cause gastrointestinal distress or could be anaphylactic. My daughter projectile vomits, after having a severe stomach-ache,