Singapore - Sichuanese lunch at Si Chuan Dou Hua (四川豆花饭莊), UOB Plaza 1
It's been ages since I'd been back to Si Chuan Dou Hua Restaurant. The original outlet opened in United Square back in 1996, and was perhaps the first authentic Sichuanese restaurant in Singapore at the time - the others were usually Cantonese-influenced "Szechuanese" spots with the ubiquitous hot-and-sour soup, but nothing much else to show by way of Sichuanese cuisine.
Si Chuan Dou Hua also introduced a menu replete with tofu-based dishes - one of my fave culinary items. The UOB outlet opened 11 years ago (taking over the spot vacated by Top of the Plaza Cantonese restaurant) and is still going strong today.
Our lunch there today consisted of:
- Chongqing chilled chicken with spicy bean paste: Scald-your-tongue spicy from the copious amounts of dried chillis used! The inclusion of Sichuan peppercorns also have the effect of numbing one's tongue and lips. Not one of my preferred dishes.
- Snow flaked fried dumplings (雪花锅贴): Delicate, tasty pork-chive poached dumplings topped with a lacy egg crust. Very well done!
- Crystal vegetarian dumplings (水晶包): Superb orbs of translucent skin encasing colourful chopped vegetables. Marvellously done here.
- Fried sesame-encrusted buns filled with pork floss: totally unexpected - the filling was pork cooked in sugar-and-soy till dry and flossy: very common in Singapore and often used as a side-dish to be consumed with rice porridge, or even as a sandwich filling - but first time I'd seen it used in a fried bun.
- Sliced Pork with Sizzling Rice Crust: well done but not a particular standout.
- Spinach-topped tofu with braised dried scallops: very good rendition: Si Chuan Dou Hua's tofu are of exceptional quality, and that certainly enhanced this very common Chinese restaurant dish.
- Dou hua (beancurd) in sugar syrup - silky smooth and delicate. Must-not-miss here!
- Pan-fried dumplings filled with mashed pumpkin: absolutely delicious and a perfect ending to the meal.
Very impressed by the efficient, friendly service and overall ambience in the restaurant.
Si Chuan Dou Hua Restaurant (四川豆花饭莊)
80 Raffles Place
#60-01 UOB Plaza 1
Tel: +65 6535 6006