HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Do you create unique foods?

What is it?

KPRChow Apr 3, 2013 10:49 AM

At first I thought it was a corer, but it has a distinct 90 degree angle. Any idea of it's function?

  1. Gio Apr 3, 2013 10:54 AM

    Just guessing here but the first thing I thought of was a tool to use for larding lean meat. One would pierce the meat then stuff the incision with fat/bacon/etc.

    1. Kris in Beijing Apr 3, 2013 10:56 AM

      A woodworking tool?

      How are we sure this is for cooking?

      1. kaleokahu Apr 3, 2013 11:17 AM

        Methinks it's a planting trowel...

        1 Reply
        1. re: kaleokahu
          Gio Apr 3, 2013 11:42 AM

          It's too thin for planting bulbs, but just maybe could be used for "plugs".

        2. c
          cleobeach Apr 3, 2013 12:25 PM

          It looks like a small garden trowel. We have one that my husband uses as a weeder.

          It can also be used as a planter, using it to make holes to transplant seedlings, small bulbs, etc.

          Is there measurement markings on it?

          2 Replies
          1. re: cleobeach
            tcamp Apr 4, 2013 09:50 AM

            Even if it is a clam knife, it looks as though it could do a nice job of dandelion removal.

            1. re: tcamp
              porker Apr 4, 2013 10:31 AM

              Pretty much the same thing eh? dig for dandelion roots, or clams, or clamms...

          2. porker Apr 3, 2013 12:34 PM

            Thats a $5 european clam knife (to dig for 'em...3.5 Euros or so in England).

            1 Reply
            1. re: porker
              suzigirl Apr 3, 2013 12:54 PM

              That was my thought. Shellfish knife for shucking clams and oysters

            2. Uncle Bob Apr 4, 2013 02:32 PM

              Never dug or shucked clams. ~ I wouldn't want to try to shuck an oyster with it....the shape is wrong. ~~ Larding is done with a 'needle' ~~ Bottom line is I don't know. ~~

              Where did you get/find it??? Any other information etc.?

              1. JayL Apr 4, 2013 06:35 PM

                Pictures say way more than words at times.

                6 Replies
                1. re: JayL
                  porker Apr 5, 2013 03:06 AM

                  Couldn't agree more
                  (note the shape and color of the wood handle, clamp collar size, length and shape of "blade", etc)

                  1. re: porker
                    JayL Apr 5, 2013 01:11 PM

                    I thought I made out a beveled (sharp) edge on the OP's example. A clam knife will be blunt and have squared edges.

                    The OP can certainly use this information to decide what they actually have on their hands.

                    1. re: JayL
                      porker Apr 5, 2013 02:01 PM

                      I'm just funnin {;-/)
                      Maybe the OP can pick dandelions with 'em!

                      1. re: porker
                        JayL Apr 5, 2013 07:11 PM


                  2. re: JayL
                    Gio Apr 5, 2013 04:45 AM

                    Eureka! Bravo.

                    1. re: JayL
                      wyogal Apr 5, 2013 07:16 PM

                      That was my first thought, too.

                    Show Hidden Posts