Hong Kong - Char-siu pork at Dynasty, Renaissance Hong Kong
This spacious and very popular Cantonese restaurant purportedly serves one of the best char-siu (Cantonese-style barbecued pork) in town. It was Michelin-starred previously but seemed to have dropped its one-star in this year's guide - but did not seem to have any impact on the burgeoning local crowds who'd been coming here for its popular weekend dim sum lunches.
What we tried:
- Crabmeat and crabroe tofu soup: one ofthe house specialties. It was a bit bland, but the crabmeat/roe content was pretty generous.
- Braised pomelo skin in abalone sauce with assorted mushrooms and lotus seeds. Done very well here, but I'm a sucker for pomelo skin done properly (my fave is still the one at Fu Sing Wanchai). Good, but not great.
- Char-siu pork: it was velvety-smooth and not as sweet as the version served elsewhere in HK. I'd have loved it to be more fatty, or flavorsome. Not sure I'd agree that it's one of the best in town these days - it's a bit too bland in taste.
- Roast pigeon: now *this* was very well done indeed - perfect textures and flavors. Loved this - excellent!
- Braised noodles with abalone sauce and shrimp roe. Not sure if the flavors are supposed to be subtle, but I couldn't discern neither the abalone nor shrimp roe flavors. Quite a letdown.
I'm beginning to understand the Michelin downgrade for this place. Pity, it's a really nice restaurant with killer harbour views. And the service was top-notch.
3/F, Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
1 Harbour Road, Wanchai
Tel: +852 2802 8888
First off! Looks like the chowhound softwear is duplicating your posting with photos attachment as well?!!!!
Your Roasted pigeon looked much better than all the ones I had so far in Hong Kong!! How did it taste?!
Just came back from Dim Sum lunch at Luk Yue. Some good, some mediocre but those vintage ' Po Lei' tea was awesome!!
re: Charles Yu
Yes, I've flagged to the Admin on the duplicate post!
Agree that the 'Po Lei' at Luk Yu was marvellous - my HK cousin would not order any other type of tea when having a "yum cha" session. Did you try the pig's lung? I wanted to, but didn't have any room for it during my brekkie there.