Inspired by the thread asking for most over-rated and pretentious.
My own contribution - Purple Onion on Dundas in the Junction. Cheap steak and specials of the day. Another would be Valleyfields in North York. No smoke and mirrors there.
Oh, I love this topic! My favourite underrated and unpretentious spots:
- Hammersmith's on Gerrard East.
- Trio on Yonge, north of Lawrence
- Sidecar on College
- Serra on Bloor (though it's been a couple of years since I've eaten there)
- Northern Dumpling Kitchen
- Yummy Yummy Dumplings
- Stone Road Grille in Niagara-on-the-Lake (not underrated, but totally unpretentious)
- The Regal Diner in Niagara Falls
There are many more, but these are the ones that I frequent (or frequented) most often.
Yes, several times. Still wonderful. Slight shift in menu to include some less expensive entrees, as they are trying to hit a lower price point so that they aren't only a "special occasion" restaurant for locals. The killed the half-sized entree options, which made me sad, but I guess the less expensive section makes up for that.
The current menu is on the rich side with a comfort-food focus. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a Spring menu.
Great topic - much better to focus on the positive than the negative.
Under-rated & unpretentious:
Kori's Roti (Oakville)
Porchetta & Co
- The original comment has been removed