Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >
Mar 20, 2013 10:11 AM

Chinese Hot Pot, Shabu-Shabu Cooker ?

Any idea where I would find one of these with the split compartment for 2 broths? I would prefer an electric one if possible. Thanks for your advice.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. You may have better luck buying the pot and the burner separately. You can get a split pot at most Chinese grocery stores, like T & T. The pot shouldn't be more then $20, usually less than that. If you want an electric burner, consider getting an induction burner. I have seen them at Costco and at Asian grocery stores.

    6 Replies
    1. re: sweetie

      Yes, costco has it. Try any appliance store at pmall or mkt village.

      1. re: caitlink

        Sorry to be daft here...but does an induction burner work on all pots?

        1. re: Torontotonto

          The pot is heated by magnetic energy. To function on an induction unit the base of your pot must be made of a ferrous metal that will attract and hold a magnet.

          1. re: iamafoodie

            No aluminum pots is a good starting guideline.

            1. re: szw

              Also, a lot of stainless pots will have an aluminum outer base for efficient heat transfer. Those will not work on induction either.

            2. re: iamafoodie

              or you can use an interaface disk if you only have aluminum cookware

      2. Have you tried Tap Phong on Spadina? If anyone has them, they will. Worth a call.

        1. induction is the way to go for hotpot, no need to worry about buying butane cans, more energy efficient too.

          Induction burners can be had for $80 or so.

          1. i ended up recently buying a gas burner before thinking. for those of you who have a table top induction burner, how evenly does the burner heat? I've seen some tests that suggest it's only a small area in the middle, although i guess for heating broth, it's not that critical.