HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

A Antique Grill Pan

ehgioes Mar 13, 2013 03:51 AM

I got this off EBay about 4 years ago. I think NOS from the 1920's. Ed

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. kaleokahu RE: ehgioes Mar 13, 2013 09:02 AM

    Hi, ehgioes

    Thanks for posting that. I believe it's made to sit where a wood cookstove's lid would. Some fat drips into the fire, but much of it is caught and collected in those channels. I have a rectangular one, but it is flat whereas yours appears to be convex--even better for draining away the fat.

    These aren't a lot of use on modern hobs, though. Maybe over a campfire?

    What's the diameter of the pan?


    1. e
      ehgioes RE: ehgioes Mar 13, 2013 11:59 AM

      You're probably right about the wood stove. They were called smokeless grills because the grooves caught all the fat. The pan is 10" in diameter and I use it all the time.
      Mostly under the broiler but if you want something really
      seared put it over gas and get really hot keep turning the
      meat to keep from sticking. Ed

      1. c
        Cheffer12 RE: ehgioes Mar 14, 2013 04:30 AM

        That's a pretty old pan, Curious as how much you paid for it.

        3 Replies
        1. re: Cheffer12
          ehgioes RE: Cheffer12 Mar 14, 2013 02:54 PM

          $25 do you think its older than the 1920's? At the time I was looking for a Griswold but they were selling for around $450.
          This is actually more sophisticated being in one piece. The
          pattern maker must have been an artist. Ed

          1. re: ehgioes
            kaleokahu RE: ehgioes Mar 14, 2013 03:28 PM

            Hi, ehgioes:

            Do you see any gate marks in the casting? If you do, it is probably 1880s or earlier.


            1. re: kaleokahu
              ehgioes RE: kaleokahu Mar 15, 2013 03:58 AM

              no gate marks no marks of any kind. Which is strange as I think American companies, before jobs became the US's major export, were proud of their products. They usually had the Co. name and address and maybe a logo. Ed

        Show Hidden Posts