Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Mar 7, 2013 05:34 PM

Universal pan lids

My pan lids seem to be disappearing or I acquire a pan without a lid for some reason. Does anyone use universal pan lids? Any thoughts?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I have a 16" aluminum pizza pan (mostly flat, slightly curved up at crust position at edges" that I use almost exclusively.

    1. This is a link to an Amazon page. You can buy universal pan lids.

      2 Replies
      1. re: sueatmo

        Yea, that's my question. Do you find that they are as good as separate lids? A friend commented that she does not think they seal very well which made me hesitate to buy the one that I spotted in the store yesterday

        1. re: fldhkybnva

          I imagine they are better than no lids at all.

          I use pot lids for skillets all the time.

          This summer when I was in temporary digs and had only minimum kitchen gear, I bought some used stainless pots and some misc. glass lids that sort of fit, at the Goodwill. This arrangement worked.

      2. My thoughts:

        I've looked at those universal lids & keep thinking that they'd be too inconvenient (ie, big) for most of my pans.

        I have had decent luck finding nice replacement lids at thrift stores. I found a heavy stainless lid for my 10" pan for $2, & another heavy stainless lid for my 8" pan for 40ยข.

        1 Reply
        1. re: Eiron

          Yea, it seems impossible to find a replacement lid sold by itself other than online. I think our spring fair is upcoming or I might just have to give in to Amazon.

        2. Hi, fld...

          I use them for filling holes in my batterie where I have pans with no covers, or am simultaneously using indentical-circumference pans that are in a menage-a-couvercle with the same cover. I welcome the day when I can *not* use them, and keep looking for "real" matching covers.

          If you get one/some, make sure you get the kind with concentric "steps", so that condensate drains back into the pan rather than onto your cooktop.

          About thrift store replacements... TAKE YOUR PANS WITH YOU. I have bought maybe 8 $1 covers that *measured* as if they'd work, and didn't. So now they're back at Goodwill, perhaps waiting for you!


          1. Ikea makes an lid in three sizes (9",11",13"). I have the 11" lid and it works and seals well