Delhi - Fabulous Afghani chicken at Swagath
I know many Delhi-ites probably take this dish for granted - but for out-of-town visitors like me, the Afghani chicken was an absolute knock-out. Essentially chicken marinated in yoghurt (which also acts as a tenderiser), cardamom, onions, ginger, lime and cashewnut paste, then barbecued - it was one of most delicious chicken preparations I'd ever had.
My first taste of the Afghani chicken was at Swagath, a popular 10-year-old chain restaurant offering Mughlai and, rather strangely, Desi-Chinese cuisines here in Delhi. The rendition here was tender, tasty and incredibly aromatic from the barbecuing.
Other dishes we had included:
- Mangalorean pomfret: very tasty although a but spicier and saltier than I'd had liked.
- Malai kofta: spiced balls (made of potatoes, vegetables and breadcrumbs) blanketed in a thick, creamy sauce.
- Vegetarian briyani: fairly bland, but provides a good foil to the strong-tasting curried dishes.
- Ginger-flavored butter naan. I'd yet to come across any "bad" naans in Delhi, and this one was every bit as fabulous.
Finished off with some very sweet desserts:
- Kulfi ice-cream with falooda (cornflour noodles)
- Gulab jamun with vanilla ice-cream
14 Defence Colony Market
Tel: +91 11 2433 0930