Toronto Ramen Roundup?
Didn't see any specific topic for discussing this properly, only a number of topics dedicated to specific joints. If I missed it, moderators feel free to delete this.
Now that all the ramen places have been open for sometime, where is everyone's favorite bowl?
Personally I'd rank them as follows (have not tried Raijin) feel free to discuss :)
Haven't tried Ryoji, Raijin, A-OK or Momofuku.
The top three for us are Santouka, Sansotei, and Kinton. All three have relative strengths. I particularly liked the noodles at Kinton, the broth at Sansotei, and Santouka is good all-round.
The next level down, Niwatei is still good in my books. Ajisen is good, but not my favourite noodle style. Kenzo's broths are only OK. Tokyo Grill isn't as good as Niwatei, but is good for the price and location. Haven't been to Konnichiwa in years because it was always underwhelming (with overcooked noodles to boot).
1) Ryoji - rich, opague, home-made like broth
2) Kinton - liked the spice level and pork fat
4) Kingyo - just noodles, no pork fat in bowl
5) Momofuku - MSG effect, +++post thirst
6) A-OK - not my style
8) Spring Rolls - left alot uneaten
Still need to try Sansotei, Raijin, Nejibee and Kenzo
4. Sansotei (hate their noodles with a passion)
Cant wait to try Kingyo and Ryoji
BTW Splendido/Country General had a black truffle/porcini tonkotsu at Slurp Noodle Festival that would tie with Santouka for best in Toronto. But its a one time only thing so.
I agree with the love for Santouka - still the benchmark for ramen in the city.
5. Kenzo/Ajisen/Momofuku (all kind of bad, but for different reasons, the first two being oily insufferable messes, the last for tasting like nothing)
Still haven't been to Ryoji or A-OK yet though. Has anyone tried Guu's lunch-time ramen? Where would that fit in here?
So I'm kind of:
1) Ryoji - Santouka (depending on the day/time of day and how I am feeling)
4) Everyone else (Ajisen, Kenzo, AOK, Niwatei [which is in Markham so no one is eating there anyway], never had Momofuku but I have it on good authority it sits in this category as well)