Non-Seder Passover Recipes/Ideas
- almond tree Mar 4, 2013 11:37 PM
There's another thread already for favorite Seder recipes, which the OP wants to keep on topic.
So I've decided to start a thread for general Passover recipes & ideas.
Here are a few general meal suggestions I sent to a local food board a few years ago:
(These are all non-gebrokts.)
* I tried meatballs in tomato sauce with "spaghetti" made of cut-up potato starch blintzes - kinda a lot of work but yummy & fun. You could also make a pareve mushroom/tomato sauce.
* Blintzes can be filled with all kinds of things - various meat mixtures, leftover chicken from soup, sauteed mushrooms, mashed potatoes with fried onion, etc. Pareve ones could be a main course for vegetarians & a side dish for omnivores.
* apple latkes - grated apple, potato starch & eggs. Good side dish with meat or dairy.
If you have a Pesach oven, try:
* peppers, large mushrooms or eggplant stuffed with ground meat or ratatouille
* potato kugel made with half sweet & half white potatoes, plus lots of onion & minced cusbara
* tuna loaf (When cold, this is good to take along on picnics, if you have an insulated bag or other means of keeping it cool.)
A favorites in my family are: Matzah Pizza - basically pizza on a piece of matza, matza lasagna - lasgnag made with matza
My family loves French Onion Soup. Saute onions until caramelized, add a nice red wine and some beef stock (or parve beef stock mix if you want to keep it parve) and s&p. Easy, and simple, and it tastes great.
Spaghetti Squash with tomato sauce and cheese.
Quinoa crusted quiche. It's ridiculously easy- spread a thin layer of quinoa that covers the bottom of a pan, pour in quiche mixture, and bake as usual. The quinoa will actually combine into a discernible, if soft, crust, and with much less effort than a potato crust (requiring shredding the potato, draining, pre-cooking, etc).
In theory you don't even need to pour the quinoa in first- it'll settle out. But if you're lazy and don't want to measure the quinoa, putting it in works nicely.