HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What are you cooking today? Tell us about it

Starbucks Vanilla Powder

WhatsEatingYou Feb 28, 2013 08:02 AM

Does anyone know what the vanilla powder that Starbucks has at its shops is called? I am referring to the one in the shaker by the milk and sugar. I love this stuff and want to have some at the office for my work coffee. Curious if there is a similar product available at the grocery store.

  1. j
    janniecooks Feb 28, 2013 09:29 AM

    It's called vanilla powder. Go figure. It can be purchased through Amazon, King Arthur, and probably stores in large metro areas that sell Nielsen-Massey products (I doubt Nielsen-Massey is the only producer).

    1. fldhkybnva Feb 28, 2013 06:21 PM

      I have always wondered the same thing as well. Well, mostly I wondered if it contains sugar but just assumed so. Also any idea of the cinnamon and nutmeg or just that or have some added sugar?

      1 Reply
      1. re: fldhkybnva
        janniecooks Mar 1, 2013 12:48 AM

        Vanilla powder is made with dried vanilla extract and maltodextrin, which is a kind of a sugar (google it). It would be most disappointing if Starbucks added sugar to the cinnamon or nutmeg; I don't think they do. I have put them both in my Starbucks n the past and not tasted any sweetness.

      2. c
        cavy95 May 12, 2013 09:22 PM

        scrap vanilla bean into sugar, in batches pour sugar in coffee grinder, grind each batch to a powder. Add to your favorite (home made) starbucks drink, save money and enjoy!

        1. Coogles May 13, 2013 05:53 AM

          This is supposed to be the brand Starbucks uses http://cooksvanilla.com/index.php?p=v...

          The Spice House and Great American Spice Company also have vanilla powder available that sounds similar.

          Show Hidden Posts