Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Oriental Pavilion, for the BEST dim sum in Kuala Lumpur
- klyeoh Feb 28, 2013 05:16 AM
For sheer variety and tastewise, there's no beating the Oriental Pavilion which, IMO, is the BEST dim sum spot in the whole of Kuala Lumpur.
What we ordered today:
1) "Loh mai kai" - steamed glutinous rice with abalone mushroom, pork and chicken
2) "Wu kok" mushroom-and-pork-filled taro fritters
3) "Cheung fun" with shrimp
4) Shrimps, mushrooms and carrot dumplings
5) Shrimps-and-chives dumplings
6) "Har-kau" - shrimp dumplings
7) Shrimps-and-spinach dumplings
8) "Siu-mai" - pork-and-shrimp dumplings
9) "Cha siu bao" - steamed BBQ pork buns
10) Egg tarts
11) Braised seafood and crisp egg noodles
Everything tasted absolutely delicious, but especially items (4) and (7). I'm not quite enamoured with Item (11) though, as I thought the noodles were a bit chewier than I'd expected, and the dish lacked the subtlety of better-prepared versions I'd had in top Cantonese restaurants in Singapore, Hong Kong, or even its KL rivals like the Ming Room (Bangsar SC) and Oversea (Jalan Imbi).
Lot P104, 1st Floor, Jaya 33
3, Jalan Semangat, Section 13
46100 Petaling Jaya
Tel: +603-7956 9288
Back at the Oriental Pavilion again for lunch yesterday: still fab "har-gau" (shrimp dumplings), "char-siu bao" (BBQ pork buns) and egg tarts. Also tried their spicy pork-shrimp dumgplings which were absolutely delicious: the sauce was soysauce-based, with vinegar and very spicy chilli oil added.
Consistency in its delivery: that's what distinguishes Oriental Pavilion from other dim sum spots in KL, even its sister-restaurants like Ming Room @ Bangsar Shopping Centre and Han Room @ The Gardens, Mid-Valley.