Vegan Comfort Foods
Feeling a little under the weather tonight, though not necessarily looking for traditional "under the weather" foods. What do you eat (make) when you just want comfort? Have a recipe that's a keeper? Please do share, as I am at a loss...
re: Peaches to Poutine
You can make your own vegan cheeses, they're very easy get "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" by Jo Stepaniak (amazon) it's great
My fave comfort foods are chickpea a la king and loaves with mashed potatoes and cashew gravy; 7th Day Adventist cookbooks are amazing at veganizing American comfort foods.. I recommend Newstart. Heres a link
(and I'm a buddhist btw;-)
Yes to the 7th Day Adventists! There was a 7thDA restaurant in my hometown when I went veg in college and that was "the" only veg restaurant around and the food was great! No nouveau Asian fusion, etc. but very solid veg versions of American home cooking, with delicious mushroom gravy over loafy/croquette things, etc.. OMG, and desserts made with fresh dates. Thank you for reminding me of this - I have to see if mom still has the cookbook we bought in the restaurant's attached health food store.
I hope you're feeling better today! Very yummy suggestions. Since the melted-cheese category seems well filled, I thought I would list some other random things that I find comforting.
* Butternut squash soup with veggie broth and a touch of thyme, five spice or curry powder (depending on which flavor profile you like)
* Potato leek soup
* Veggie chili
* Mashed potatoes or whipped cauliflower with veggie gravy
* Miso soup (with vegetarian broth) and lots of tofu
* Steelcut oatmeal with dried fruits and cinnamon
* O-chazuke (rice with hot tea)
* Baked ziti (pasta + red sauce + olives & bake until edges are golden)
* Toast with earth balance & cinnamon sugar
* "Cheesy" black bean dip (seasoned vegan black beans with nutritional yeast) and tortilla chips
I don't know where you'd find almond cheese in Michigan, but I know there are recipes online on how to make your own if you want to give it a shot. Though maybe not when you're feeling under the weather :)