Ashland, Early 2013 Update
The OSF season officially opened tonight, so it seems like a good time to give an update of what's changed with Ashland's restaurants.
* Chateaulin (& Chateaulin Bistro): Closed last fall. It's been on the market since late last year, and the realtor shows a "sale pending" mark on the listing, so keep a good thought that the space will be humming again this year.
* Grilla Bites: Closed. No new tenant in that space yet.
* Larry's Cupcakes: Larry moved to Eugene to be closer to family.
* Munchie's: Closed a few weeks ago. Mix reportedly will be taking over the space to expand their wholesale baking operations, and to allow expanded seating in their main shop.
* Old Farmhouse: Opened briefly last year down by Albertson's, but closed just recently (the whole chain closed). Not sure if it's permanent or not.
* Hana Sushi: Replaced by Umi Sushi, which appears to be a little more all-Japanese (no Korean/Chinese that I noticed). Mothership appears to be in Jacksonville.
* Larks did a remodel; nothing drastic, just a little more modern, a little less feminine. The original chef (Damon Jones) is back, with a somewhat revised menu.
* Red Hibiscus: Replaced by CJ's Bistro, a burger/sandwich/soup shop.
* Smithfield's is now doing lunch on weekdays. Killer reuben and fries.
* Star Sushi: Ashland is awash is Japanese! New hole-in-the wall on East Main across from Bloomsbury Books. Haven't tried them yey, but looks promising.
That's the short list; more details as we try the new ones later this year.
I've felt like the Maytag repairman lately with you and Runnin'Rob AWOL.
I looked at the CJ's menu and it looked promising, but I haven't tried it either.
Red Hibiscus never fulfilled the hope I had for it.
Also, My buddy Sam has a GYRO cart which he usually locates at the Ray's in Phoenix. I think he'll be there most days as the weather clears up and warm days arrive.
Hey, sorry! Didn't mean to leave you hanging on your own!
CJ's gets mixed reviews on Yelp, and I haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on them. Red Hibiscus: yeah, was really looking forward to good Hawaiian. I go to NoHo's in Medford or Kobe for my kalbi ribs fix.
A good gyro would be a good thing. I like the ones at Happy Falafel, but somehow rarely seem to get there.
Very happy that Chipotle is now open in Medford! I like that Milagro's is attempting to be a "healthy" version of them, but when I want Chipotle, I want the whole thing--crazy salty chips, the carnitas with fajita veg, etc.
Links for this thread: