HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >


best 1 quart saucepan under $50?

This has got to be the most boring post ever but...

I would like to get a 1 quart saucepan with a lid - I dont have enough to get buy comfortably (right now only 2 and 1 has no handle on the top)

I am not fussy, just want a good quality item

any suggestions would be nice.

thanks !

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. All-Clad has a great 1.5 quart at $79.95 (Amazon). Not quite what you spec'd, but worth a look.

    1. I suggest the Tramontina 1-Qt. 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Covered Sauce Pan. $24.97 at walmart. Youll have to order it online, but I think shipping is free to your nearby walmart. I have the 2 qt that I got with the 10 pc set, and this stuff is awesome.


      Here's a comparison of the Tramontina Tri Ply vs All Clad:



      3 Replies
      1. re: Eager6

        Totally agree on the Tramontina. I have the 16 quart and it was one of my best purchases ever. Tramontina will come back in stock, wait for it, value + quality. America's test kitchen or cook's country tested Tramontina and it rated first.

        1. re: Ruthie789

          Is it compatible with induction? If you put a magnet against the bottom, does it hold or fall off?

          1. re: w0x0f

            I will have to go and get a magnet and try it out. It is stainless steel so a magnet will stick.

      2. If you have a Homegoods near you, I would recommend this French made Cuisinart saucepan for you to look at - model FCT19-14:

        It should be about $20 or less. I purchased a few pieces of various sizes including a 2.25qt and 10 inch fry pan and all were under $30. They are stainless tri-ply, and nifty handle design that's very comfortable and stays really cool.

          1. I use the Calphalon Simply Calphalon Hard-Anodized 1-Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Lid. The lid is glass, and both saucepan and lid have soft silicone handles. I'm quite happy with it. Calphalon's price is $30, and I believe that's what I paid at Bed Bath & Beyond.


            1. http://stores.cookwarenmore.com/-strs...

              You get an extra 20% off right now. You'll never have to replace it.

              1. Thanks all, I'll check them all out!

                1. The Cuisinart Multiclad Pro 1.5 quart saucepan is very nice and is only $30 on Amazon.com:


                  2 Replies
                    1. re: Miss Priss

                      no it doesnt matter but I have 2 already and they were passed down and do the job but the lids were whacked just needed a third and wanted something "nice" - it matters to me

                    2. Calphalon anododized aluminum is a great pan. Agree on Tramontina too

                      1. Does it really matter? It's a saucepan, after all.

                        I bought a 1 qt saucepan about 8 years ago at WalMart for something like 9.99, and it's lasted to this day. And I used it probably on average 3-4 times a week, if not more.

                        3 Replies
                        1. re: ipsedixit

                          I supose it depends on what you cook in it. If you're boiling water for ramin noodles, then anything will do. But, if you have a sauce where temperature control is critical, then perhaps the quality of saucepan is more important.

                          1. re: ipsedixit

                            I agree.

                            Among other pans, I have a pair of Update International stainless saucepans. They work very well for 90% of what I do, and they do an acceptable job for the other 10%. I don't think they sell a 1 qt pan but the 2 qt pan with lid is $17 plus shipping online from restaurant supply stores.

                            If the OP wants a better pan, Bridge Kitchenware has a third off Sitram until the 26th, meaning a 1 qt Profiserie pan w lid for $40 or so which would be my rec for a better pan.

                            1. re: ipsedixit

                              The quality of saucepans absolutely matter. Firstly, for even heat distribution. Cooking on low temperatures, should not burn the base but leave the sides uncooked. An even heating saucepan with a close fitting lid is critical for steaming rice for example or for cooking something that requires a good steam-trap...

                            2. this is in my amazon cart

                              I so appreciate all the replies, never found a nicer site than this one

                              1. This is probably too late given the date of this thread, but if I had a $50 budget and really wanted a saucepan, I would get a Demeyere Resto egg poacher. The egg poaching part is removable, and you get a 1.5 quart saucepan with nice stay cool handle and thick aluminum disc base and a glass lid. It's a two-for-one deal, basically.