Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Quebec (inc. Montreal) >
Feb 19, 2013 06:02 PM

Finding cake emulsifier in Montreal

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create steamed cupcake and one of the ingredients needed to make it "grow" is emulsifier. I know it's not commonly sold, but I heard you can find it in Asian stores. I have tried Marche Hawai and G market in china town, but I don't know where else I can find it. So can anyone help me find a store?

I also heard Xantham gum as a subtitute, but I'm worried it won't create the "growing" effect I need.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. If it has anything to do with baking, they should have it at Vixit a.k.a France Décor.

    1 Reply
    1. re: SnackHappy

      Thank you for posting that link, it looks interesting. Is it open to the public or do you have to shop on line?

    2. Isn't soy lecithin an emulsifier? I believe this is commonly available (and is used quite a bit in "molecular" cuisine to make foams etc.)

      1 Reply
      1. re: pyropaul99

        Can you give me a specific store that sells it? Thank you

        1. re: Ruthie789

          I'm assuming you meant Akhavan, the grocery store in Pierrefonds. I haven't but I'll check this weekend

            1. re: club24

              I think your best chance would be at a health food store, Health Tree or Tau perhaps? As well in you are in the West Island, on Sources Boulevard are some Asian markets.

          1. Hi, so I tried Akhavan and Vixit, but both doesn't have it. I know someone suggested soy lecithin, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm hoping someone will have more stores suggestions for me. Thank you

            1 Reply
            1. re: club24

              You could try calling Anatol's on St-Laurent.

              Do you know any other name for the product aside from "fish cake emulsifier"?

            2. What's the source of this recipe? Is it translated from some other language?

              make it grow - do you (or the recipe) mean 'rise'? That's the job of beaten eggs or baking soda/powder.

              an emulsifier would thicken and/or stabilize the batter.

              5 Replies
                1. re: SnackHappy

                  That article is about emulsifiers that are used by commercial bakers.

                  Palsgaard® SA 6610 cake emulsifier - sold as an additive to industrial cake mixes.

                  This reinforces my claim that we need to know more about the recipe to make meaningful suggestions.

                  1. re: paulj

                    Hi, the original recipe is written in Indonesian, but I'm going to give you the English version of it. It's called "Bolu Kukus" in Indonesian words, but you can google "steamed cupcakes" although it's hard to find the exact recipe in English. The second link will show what we use to make it (scroll to the bottom)


                    Details on making it:

                    In general, it's pretty easy to make, but the tough part is making the cupcake "split" and rise up. In the recipe above, Ovalette is a brand of emulsifier, but currently I haven't found it.

                    1. re: club24

                      "-You can omit emulsifier (not an easy ingredient to find here), you just need to beat the egg and sugar batter longer until it is very thick for about 10-15 min."


                      What is ovalette
                      "Monoglyceride, Polyglycerol, Polysorbate, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Tartrazine and Water."

                      In a related post this blogger uses sweetened condensed milk instead of ovalette

                      1. re: paulj

                        Thank you for your suggestions. I did try another batch today, but I only beat the eggs and sugar around 3 minutes. It did rise, but not as tall as the examples. I'm hoping your suggestion will work.