Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Feb 19, 2013 05:29 AM

What is "castor sugar"?

Hello making turmeric fish from a Bill Granger book. He asks for "Castor sugar." Is that regular sugar or confectioners sugar?


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. It is like normal granulated sugar, just finer and so more suitable for baking as it is supposed to melt more easily.
    I always use granulated sugar and I believe caster sugar (in the UK I see it spelled like that) it's not necessary as it's a tad more expensive and it doesn't make any difference to me

    1 Reply
    1. re: lemony05

      Maybe like bar sugar? You can get that here, but I'm sure it's more expensive.

    2. In the States, we call it "superfine sugar." It's used mainly by bartenders. You can achieve the same degree of fineness by whirring regular sugar in a food processor.

      1. Westy, caster sugar is simply fine granulated sugar. I don't buy it because you can simply take regular everyday granulated sugar and grind it a few seconds in a coffee grinder or dedicated spice grinder. Works a treat.

        Which Granger book are you using? I have his Bill's Food but haven't cooked anything from it yet...

        1 Reply
        1. re: Gio

          Bill's Asian. I like his book "Sydney Food." I think in the States, it is called "Bill's Kitchen."

        2. You could also try for "Fruit Sugar" at the supermarket. More often during canning season than year round is this item available, but here it is available year-round at Bulk Barn.

          1. Assuming that Australian caster sugar is the same as British caster sugar, then it is much finer than a "fine granulated sugar". Not quite a powder (which, in the UK, we'd call icing sugar) but really not far off it. I believe Americans may know it as "superfine" but am not sure of this.

            1 Reply
            1. re: Harters

              I have some at the moment and in my opinion it looks more similar to granulated sugar than to icing sugar. It's very fine but not a powder for sure.
              I am firmly convinced it doesn't make a difference in cakes as regular sugar melts just fine for me; my bf's mum keeps buying it the rare times she bakes a cake and since she does it once in a blue moon, it then sits unused in the cupboard whereas it can be used just like granulated sugar in coffees and so on, don't see why she couldn't use it up that way.